[sustran] Re: Bangkok Transit System ('Skytrain')

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Mon Nov 22 16:46:58 JST 1999

At 14:53 22/11/99 +0800, Alok Jain wrote:
>Surprised to hear that "Park & ride" is considered impractical and
>unfeasible in Bangkok because of "high cost of land and parking". In Hong
>Kong, where the land and cost of parking is much dearer (I think this is
>undisputed) Government is actively pushing for Park-n-ride as a means to
>reduce urban congestion.

I think that the explanation may be that the new mass transit system in
Bangkok currently does not extend beyond the inner area of the city which
is densely built up.  There is also a danger that by putting park n' ride
in such dense, mixed land-use locations could possible even reduce
ridership by reducing the amount of human activity in the vicinity of
stations. I imagine that Park and ride in Hong Kong would only be in the
outer New Town areas (please correct me if I am wrong).

Paul

PLEASE NOTE NEW 8 DIGIT TELEPHONE/FAX NUMBER

A. Rahman Paul BARTER
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia and the Pacific (SUSTRAN)
P.O. Box 11501,  Kuala Lumpur 50748, Malaysia.
TEL/FAX: +60 3 2274 2590
E-mail: sustran at po.jaring.my
SUSTRAN:  http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/2853/
SUSTRAN-DISCUSS: http://www.egroups.com/group/sustran-discuss/

The SUSTRAN network promotes and popularises
people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport
with a focus on Asia and the Pacific.