[sustran] Re: Bangkok Transit System ('Skytrain')

Jain Alok ajain at kcrc.com
Mon Nov 22 15:53:00 JST 1999

>Many other people want to know if there will be "park and ride" facilities
>to allow suburban commuters wishing to use the rail service to park their
>cars and ride on the train. Some of them said they are unlikely to leave
>their cars at home and rely on the feeder buses to take them to the rail
>stations.
>
>They are in for a disappointment, however. Mr Keeree said the concept of
>"park-and-ride" as operated in many countries could not be applied for the
>skytrain system here because of the high cost of land and parking in
Bangkok.

>"The idea is impractical in Bangkok.
>
>We think the linkage between the feeder and the system is the most suitable
>way," he said.
>
>Bunyawat Tiptap, the city's director of traffic and transportation, agreed
>that park-and-ride would not be worth the investment in Bangkok.

Surprised to hear that "Park & ride" is considered impractical and
unfeasible in Bangkok because of "high cost of land and parking". In Hong
Kong, where the land and cost of parking is much dearer (I think this is
undisputed) Government is actively pushing for Park-n-ride as a means to
reduce urban congestion. Park-n-ride, I consider, would be feasible in
Bangkok because the congestion level is so much worse and hence the modal
shift would be higher, given a choice. The cost of Park-n-ride compared to
the returns is low on an standalone basis but (if?) located close to the
station the land can be considered "prime property" with a high degree of
accessibility and becomes attractive for developers. The development rights
usually cover the capital costs. So, as long as the parking charges cover
the operating costs, you are breaking even. And that is what make it works.

Hopefully, people start looking at these measures not as "worth the
investment" but "for better planning and sustainability of the system".

Alok Jain
Hong Kong