[sustran] Comments about the reply of Eric Bruun

Paula Negron Poblete negronpp at MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Sat Nov 20 07:18:08 JST 1999

I agree with Eric about the fact that large metropolis will be a total mess
without rapid transit networks, but I also point out the fact that we
usually see in  those systmes the "universal solution" to congestion and
mobility problems. I think we need to keep our feets on the ground, by that
I mean that we can't reject the fact that those systems are very expensive
(the subway in Mexico city has a cost around 60 million USD per kilometer,
that means 2 stations only!). Imagine what would it be, from a financial
perspective, to implant a network in a city (in the specific case of Mexico
city, the subway was set up in the 70's and the government hasn't payed for
the whole network yet). Beside that, we can't forget that private cars are
used not only because they offer more confort, security and flexibility
than public transport, they are also the reflect of a need of "status".
It's very nice to pretend than people who can afford cars will easily
prefer to use rapid transit networks, but I think we need to concentrate
also in the social reasons of their use. Concerning the role that rapid
transit network plays in big metropolis in the Third World, it's not that
important, if we compare with other means of transport. If I take the
example of Mexico city, around 4 million travels are made by subway every
day, but more than 16 million are made by buses and minibuses, and the
number is rising. Even if rapid tansit networks can move more people than
buses on a passenger per vehicle basis, the reality is that those systems
are not only very expensive, but we also need to consider the topographic
and geological caracteristics of the city, wich not always make easy their
implantation.

Paula Negron Poblete
Universite de Montreal
Faculte d'Amenagement