[sustran] Re: integrated transport

Todd Litman litman at islandnet.com
Fri Nov 5 22:19:54 JST 1999

At 12:57 PM 11/03/1999 -0500, Paula Negron Poblete wrote:
>Hello everyone, i'm looking for information about integrated transport
>policies. Does anyone have some information about that subject? I'm
>particulary interested to know if the policies include integration between
>transport planning and land use planning. Thanks in advance.

There is a lot of talk about the need to integrate transportation and land
use planning, but acutal application various considerably. For discussion
of the theory I recommend Terry Moore and Paul Thorsnes, "The
Transportation Land Use Connection," Planning Advisory Service Report
448/449, American Planning Association, http://www.planning.org, 1994,
US$32, and Reid Ewing, "Transportation & Land Use Innovations, American
Planning Association, http://www.planning.org, US$48.

The best actual application I'm aware of is current work by the U.K.
Department of Environment, Transport and Regions, United Kingdom,
(www.roads.detr.gov.uk/roadnetwork) which is implementing a number of
policies to integrate transportation and land use planning. For a
discussion of the issues see Goodwin, "Transformation of Transport Policy
in Great Britin," Transportation Research A, Vol. 33, No. 7/8, Sept./Nov.
1999, pp. 655-670.

Portland, Oregon is often cited as a good example of integrated planning in
North America. See 1000 Friends of Oregon (www.friends.org), which is an
independent organization that has lead much of the thinking in this area.
The city of Vancouver, British Columbia has just established on agency to
manage both transportation and land use planning, called "TransLink"
(http://www.translink.bc.ca) which is still doing its strategic planning.

There are a number of initiatives to integrate transportation and land use
planning at the local scale to create more "livable" communities, which
often falls under the term "new urbanism." For information contact the
Center for Livable Communities (http://www.lgc.org/clc) and Congress for
New Urbanism (http://www.cnu.org), and other similar websites posted at our
website.

Sincerely,