[sustran] Re: fwd: The Real Price Of Gas

Todd Litman litman at islandnet.com
Wed May 12 23:36:03 JST 1999

At 07:38 AM 5/12/99 -0700, Wendell Cox wrote:
>Where does one find the full report?

The report's full title is: "The Real Price of Gasoline; An Analysis of the
Hidden External Costs Consumers Pay to Fuel Their Automobiles," Center for
Technology Assessment, 1998. It can be downloaded at their website:
www.icta.org.

I'd like to make a few comments about this report, particularly since it
cites some of our research on the full costs of transportation. Like many
such studies, it makes a mistake by suggesting that the full costs of
automobile use should be internalized through a fuel tax. This is done
because fuel taxes are the traditional way to charge for vehicle use, and
is a better pricing instrument than a fixed charge (such as vehicle
registration fees). But there are a number of problems with fuel taxes.

Fuel taxes can not effectively represent costs that vary depending on when
and where driving occurs, vehicle or driver characteristics. They are not
an effective way to represent marginal congestion, road use, parking,
accident or even some polltion emission costs. They are therefore neither
particularly efficient (i.e., prices do not accurately reflect marginal
costs) or equitable (some motorists would pay far more than they costs they
impose, while others would pay far less). In addition, they are easily
avoided by cross-border or illegal fuel purchases.

An optimal pricing structure requires a number of pricing reforms,
including direct charges for parking and congestion, and mileage-based fees
for insurance, registration, road use (weight-distance charges and
mileage-based registration fees), and emissions. Our research indicates
that fuel prices would only increase a small amount, fixed costs
(particularly insurance and registration fees) would decline, while
per-mile costs would increase significantly. The combination of
internalizing external costs and converting fixed costs into variable costs
would increase the percieved financial cost of driving from the current 10¢
per mile to 25-35¢ per mile, resulting in a significant (25-35%, and more
if matched with other TDM strategies) reduction in vehicle use, and even
greater reductions in pollution and accidents (since high polluting and
high-risk driving would have an even greater incentive to reduce mileage).

To put this another way, a quarter to a third of current motor vehicle use
results from market distortions that encourage consumers to use motor
vehicles more than they would under a more neutral market. Reforming these
distortions would give consumers an incentive to reduce their mileage and
be better off overall. Most of our current transportation problems
(excessive congestion, roadway expenses, pollution, accidents, consumer
costs), would be greatly reduced with such reforms.

For discussions of these issues see the following reports:

"Socially Optimal Transport Prices and Markets", VTPI
(http://www.islandnet.com/~litman)

"Mileage-Based Fees; A Practical Strategy for More Optimal Pricing," VTPI
(http://www.islandnet.com/~litman), forthecoming in the Transportation
Research Record.

"Transport Market Distortions - A Survey" VTPI
(http://www.islandnet.com/~litman)

Todd Litman, Charles Komanoff and Douglas Howell, "Road Relief; Tax and
Pricing Shifts for a Fairer, Cleaner, and Less Congested Transportation
System in Washington State," Energy Outreach Center (Olympia;
http://www.eoc.org), 1998.

I'd appreciate hearing any feedback anybody has on these ideas.

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"