[sustran] Schwinn Advertising

P. Christopher Zegras czegras at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 31 02:32:44 JST 1999

This is NOT a product endorsement, but.....

American bicycle manufacturer Schwinn has a great new full page magazine add
building on the Exxon Valdez tragedy.  Even if it is "only" advertising, it
certainly shows a fresh approach -- at least from a US company.  A few good
snippets from the add include lines like:

"We recognize we still need oil.  Without it, the principal drivers of our
economy -- convenience stores -- wouldn't have gas to sell."

"Bike accidents can be painful.  Still, very few Schwinn riders have had
wipe-outs involving entire ecosystems."

"So, the next time you want to get from A to B, consider a [bike].  Expecially
if you're captain of a super tanker.  That way, even if you have a spill, all
you'll lose is some skin.  Not hundred miles of coastline."

It would be nice to see this approach to bike sales become successful and more
popular.

Chris