[sustran] Re: boletin a escala humana

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sun Mar 28 20:34:27 JST 1999

Hello Carlos and All,

Let me explain what I have done here.. just in case it may interest one or
two of you.

I took the Spanish language piece that was just shared with us by Carlos
Cordero of CICLORED in Peru -- and ran it through a machine translator here.
You have it below untouched by human hands.

Since we are increasingly making use of these translations in our work in
The Commons, which is heavily multilingual, I would be interested in having
your reactions, including of course and above all those of Carlos. There are
those who hate and disdain them -- for reasons that I think will be readily
apparent.  And others (me included) who tend to be grateful and think that
they can figure out ways to make use of this sort of thing, warts and all.

I would be most interested to have your reactions.

Regards,

Eric Britton, The Commons

==================
Bulletin of the transport to human scale

Nº 1, April 1999

- The life is beautiful in bicycle

The Italian cinema has us accustomed to powerful images of reflecting in two
wheels. The most recent can find it in the movie ' The life is bella' of
Roberto Benigni (RB). Dos additional examples that I/you/they are come to
the head is ' The Postino' (on the Chilean Antonio's novel Burning Patience
Skármeta) and the classic of the realism ' bicicletas' Thief.

In one of the first scenes Guido (RB) and their amigo/alter ego goes in an
automobile bolted by a flaw in the controls, in address to a town that
he/she waits the arrival of the King from Italy (we are in the previous
moments to the Second World War). Guido tries to alert the residents about
the imminent danger, shaking the hands in an expression that resembles the
Nazi greeting (heil Hitler!). The residents, confusing them with the King
applauds to the step of the car outside of control. When later the King
arrives the residents they are not given for informed.

In comedy key, this scene summarizes the situation of Italy masterfully
before the war: the dark forces of the fascism in ascent and a weakened King
and lacking of popular support. The car bolted here seems to be the metaphor
of a political class outside of any rational control.

The second scene shows one of the encounters ' casuales' between Guido and
its future wife. When descending literally in bicycle at full speed this it
runs over the woman of their dreams and both finish in the floor confused in
a hug.

What demonstrates that the transport of human scale (TEH) an accident
between a beautiful walker and a cyclist (not so beautiful) it can finish in
a happy way.

I don't know if to you it passes them but lately ready too much attention to
what could denominate the ' it transports cinematográfico'.

THIS SECTION TRIED ON IMAGES PEATONALES AND CICLISTICAS IN THE LITERATURE,
SONGS, MOVIES, IT PHOTOGRAPHS, ETC. WAITS ITS SUGGESTIONS FOR THE NEXT ONE I
NUMBER

>From Ecuador Diego tells me that

' I count you that I Remove it has been the scenario of a heap of protests
against the government, and the transports have been paralyzed. What took to
people to take out their bikes. Imagine thousands of bicycles in I Remove, I
saw part of my dream come true. People were solidarizada with the
unemployment, and you/he/she opted to be transported on foot and in you Then
we take advantage to invite to a march that we will make next Friday, the
same as every month to take the streets. For that reason, I believe that now
it is the moment to give him with force to the Municipality so that they
develop a politics of alternative transport for the city, it was already
demonstrated that if people have conditions for ciclear, him ago. Before the
municipality said: put on 30.000 cyclists in the streets and ls we pay
attention. Now he/she could see them and we hope he/she takes actions.

Group of Young of Ecological Action: chuchaki at hoy.net

We remember that the same thing happened in the strike of the transport in
France. The sales of bicycles ascended to twice as much and people
discovered that the tranquility and the absence of noises was possible. Also
in the Peru with the disasters of the ' phenomenon of the alone niño' many
bridges the step of pedestrians and cyclists resisted.

In the first days of December we were in Palmyra (Colombia) companies to the
' First Symposium on the Sustainable City AND the Bicicleta' that our good
friend organized José María Borrero who presides over ' The Foundation for
the Investigation and Protection of the environment (FIPMA).

A lot of warmth, good exchange and a nearer knowledge of the efforts of the
local municipality to integrate to the bikes in the urban plans.

We rediscover ourselves there with Alfonso Sanz of Spain and we were
discussing, among other things, on the sundries names that they have the
matters cyclists in the Latin American and Spanish speech. Here they go them
some examples of how to say ' a special road for bicicletas': Ciclovía (in
Peru), Rail bike (in Spain), Cicloruta (in Colombia), Bicisendas (in
cinquefoil) and a long one etc..

In some cases this can lend you to confusions: in Colombia they denominate '
Ciclovías' to the temporary closing of the streets (the days Sunday) for the
cars, what becomes a true popular party with millions of people walking, in
bike, in skates, etc. on the contrary in Peru a ' Ciclovía' is a segregated
form of infrastructure ciclística and we don't still have name for the
Colombian experience of closing the streets.

With Alfonso we have been in making a more exhaustive list on names related
with the TEH (you don't forget Alfonso). suggestions are received to include
in the list.

After Palmyra we went to Bogotá where the Mayor received us Peñalosa (an
avid cyclist) who exposed the ambitious ciclovías plan for the city that
you/they are executing. We had with him an interesting discussion on those '
ciclorutas elevadas' that are evaluated as alternative for some tracts of
the same one.

THIS SECTION WAS ABOUT INTERNATIONAL NEWS,

It ALSO DEPENDS ON you

We have received the calendar CYCLE AND RECYCLE

that John publishes Dowlin in Philadelphia, it USES. (thank you John).
Beautifully cultured with pictures come from all over the world, he/she has
in the cover a portrait of Santa Rosa family, Bolivia (husband, woman and
two children in the same bike). JD is trying to locate those photographed to
send them a letter and a copy of the calendar.

(To order a C & R: tourdecana at igc.apc.org)

THIS SECTION TRIED ON books, videos, pictures, etc

RECEIVED BY CICLORED

- The Forum Cities for the Life carried out

in Lima the seminar ' Planning and Administration for the urban development
and Regional', the cream and cream of the local urban planning were, now
gathered in the Masters of the National University of Engineering. With
Dutch support they are trying to breakaway of the paralyzed minks and
betting for an administration environmental multidiscilpinaria.

FCV: foro at ciudad.org.pe

It was in Lima a mission of consultants from Denmark

and Holland experts in security vial that you/they advise to the Ministry of
Transports. We had exhibitions on ' Traffic Calmado' that opened the eyes of
some assistants and envelope the tendencies of the security vial in Europe
under the logic of ' zero fatalidades' or ' property damage but non humanos'
for a next future. It also surprised the fact Holland it has more than
enough: 2,500 kilometers of roads for bicycle and knowledge that there is
safer to go in bicycle that to go in car. J Danishes have been able to
reduce in the last ten years the quantity of dead and hurt by accidents.
However the figures of fatalities have more than enough cyclists they stay
constant. L

THIS SECTION TRIED ON LOCAL NEWS

(if they add those of their own country, they can forward this bulletin,

with copy to CICLORED please, something like that as a recycling

electronic)

IN THE NEXT one I NUMBER we HAVE NEWS OF THE PROJECT CICLOBRASIL 2000 IN
BRAZIL, An INTERVIEW WITH A DUTCH CONSULTANT IN TEH, COMMENTS ON THE ALREADY
CLASSIC BOOK ' ENERGY AND EQUIDAD' DE ILICH, The HOROSCOPE FOR PEDESTRIANS
AND CYCLISTS AND MANY FEET IN ACTION AND WHEELS WITHOUT SMOKE.

A HUG FOR ALL, CARLOS

Carlos Lamb V.
CICLORED - Center of Office and Training
for the Transport and Atmosphere

San Juan 242, Lima 33, Peru
tel:    (51) 1 4460175
telfax (51) 1 4472675