[sustran] Carsharing, Sustainable Transportation and You

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Jun 29 01:02:46 JST 1999

Dear Friends,

Over at The Commons, we are gradually closing in on that special issue of
World Transport Policy & Practice that we are preparing on the surprising
topic of Carsharing  and Sustainable Transportation.  And just in case you
are not up to speed on what is going on under this unassuming name, may I
invite you to check out the first 14 pieces which are now available on our
site (at http://www.ecoplan.org/carshare/ <http://www.ecoplan.org/carshare/>
) and ready for the downloading (see Contents below).

My fond hope is that we can encourage some of you to have a look and, if
possible, to offer comments and suggestions for the authors and editors as
we move toward actual publication.  I think that you will find that most of
the stuff that describes actual projects is at least fairly well known --
but it is when the authors get down to such matters as to how these systems
can be made to integrate with public and non-motorized transport and for the
first time offer a true alternative movement system to the owner/driver car,
that you may find things most interesting.  Also that last article by
Bradshaw on how this can work with the neighborhood economy is, to my mind
at least, very good stuff indeed and worth your consideration and perhaps
your comments.

In fact, if we can begin to assemble some good comments and discussion, we
might want to think about actually adding the best of these to the final
publication.

Finally... we are looking for sponsors, places, and/or events to which this
publication might somehow be tied and put to work.  Pity if the only thing
that were to happen is that it would go on the shelves of a couple of
hundred research libraries... one more pile of paper to be read with a sigh,
if at all. We live in a world that greatly needs good ideas that can
actually be made to work, and carsharing just happens to be one of them,

Eric Britton

=========
1.	A Short History of Carsharing in the 90's
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/sperling_shaheen_wagner_short_his
tory.pdf>  (Sperling, Shaheen, Wagner)
2.	Car Sharing As A Socio-Technical Learning System
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/harms&truffer_carsharing_learning
_system.pdf>  (Harms and Truffer)
3.	Who are the early adopters of car sharing? A brief history of car
sharing in Denmark
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/thogersen&norre_car_sharing_denma
rk.pdf>  (Thøgersen and Norre)
4.	Sweden: Getting Mobilised
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/strid-sweden_getting_mobilised.pd
f>  (Strid)
5.	Car Sharing Organizations in Latin America:Examining Prospects For
Santiago
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/zegras_&_gackenheimer_car_sharing
_latin_america.pdf>  (Zegras and Gackenheimer)
6.	How Our Family Kicked The Car Habit
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/bradshaw_how_our_family.pdf>
(Bradshaw)
7.	Praxitèle: The Ambitious Station Car Experiment in France
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/parent_et_al_praxitele_in_france.
pdf>  (Parent et al)
8.	So You Want to Start a Carsharing Service
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/brook-so_you_want_to_start.pdf>
(Brook)
9.	CarLink - A Smart Carsharing System
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/shaheen_carlink_smart_carsharing.
pdf> (Shaheen)
10.	A Survey of Carsharing Preferences
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/abraham_survey_of_preferences.pdf
>  (Abraham)
11.	The Adoption of Car Sharing in Portland Oregon: Case Study of the
Diffusion Process  <ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/katzev_case
study_of_diffusion_process.pdf> (R. Katzev)
12.	The Bremen Approach To Carsharing And Transport System Integration
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/glotz-richter-the_bremen_approach
.pdf> (Glotz-Richter - Editor/co-author sought)
13.	Edinburgh City Car Club Goes Live
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/edinburgh_city_car.pdf>
(Saunders, Rye et al)
14.	How Car-sharing Will Help Re-establish the Neighbourhood Economy?
<ftp://ftp.the-commons.org/pub/carshare/wt/bradshaw_how_car-sharing.pdf>
(Bradshaw)