[sustran] Re: Road Area Ratio

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Fri Jun 25 10:42:13 JST 1999

Subject: BOUNCE sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org:    Non-member submission
from ["Dr.Rajeev Saraf" <sarafrk at netearth.iitd.ernet.in>]

Subject: Re: [sustran] Road Area Ratio
To: sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org

A report by Peter Newman has this data for many cities in Developing and
devloped countries. May be Paul, can give you the exact reference.
Typically, for urban areas, 10% of the total area is marked for
transportation related activities as an standard. This is for master plan
(i.e., city level facilities) level facilities. For example, fo delhi it
includes only roads that have a ROW of more than 24 metres. As you go
down to the next level, say zonal level, then the % increases. At a
neighbourhood level, it can be as high as 30 to 40% of the total area.

Dr Rajeev Saraf                 |
Urban and Transport Planner     |
SENIOR PROJECT SCIENTIST        |      PHONE : 91-11-6858703
APPLIED SYSTEM RESEARCH PROGRAM |      EMAIL : sarafrk at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
IIT DELHI 110016                |      FAX   : 91-11-6862037
INDIA                           |