[sustran] access for the dis(differently) abled

John Whitelegg j.whitelegg at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Jun 19 23:53:54 JST 1999

Dear Sustran colleagues,

I'm sure we would all want to convey our professional disappointment to the relevant Thai authorities about disabled access.  We at World Transport Policy and Practice (WTPP)  will certainly do so.  We could also write/e-mail the transport persons in the World Bank, the European Parliament and in the United Nations.  This lack of careful, human consideration for the needs of others is a fundamental error and we should do whatever we can to make sure that (1) it is remedied in Thailand and (2) it is not repeated elsewhere.

Perhaps we could circulate relevant names and addresses of those who should be written to in these international organisations?  I can offer two brand new, very capable and very socially aware British MEPs (Green party) who were elected exactly one week ago:

Dr Caroline Lucas
Ms Jean Lambert

Both can be written to at the European Parliament, rue Wiertz, Brussels, Belgium.  I'm sure there will be e-mail addresses in the very near future.

Finally, please let me have any suggestions for papers for WTPP on the topic of access for everyone and if there is enough material we will run a special issue.

Very best wishes

John Whitelegg