[sustran] Re: Transportation investments and real estate values

Antony Julian Plumbe A.J.Plumbe at Bradford.ac.uk
Sat Jun 19 07:25:26 JST 1999

Dear Eric,

The Light Rail Transit new lines in Kuala Lumpur are
partly financed I understand by allowing the private
companies developing the lines also to develop shopping
centres at selected stations and recoup their costs
through rental of the shops. The same principles are
used in many BOT type contracts in Asia.

Closer to Europe, I think you will find an article in
the Journal of Transport Economics and Policy published
about 1988 reporting a hedonic price analysis applied to
the housing around Manchester airport. The author may
have a suitable data base.

Tony Plumbe

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:57:22 +0200 Eric Britton
<eric.britton at ecoplan.org> wrote:

> Robert Ayres of the Center for Environmental and Resource Management is
> attempting to develop some statistical information and background on this
> topic and has asked me for leads. The idea of course is simple enough --
> someone invests in transportation improvements in a given area and, maybe,
> real estate values go up.  Sounds logical, but does anyone know where he can
> turn for some statistical evidence of what actually happens in some cases.
>
> Of course we will be pleased to share our results.
>
> Kind thanks,
>
> Eric Britton
>
> ecopl at n ___  technology, economy, society  ___
> Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara, F-75006 Paris, France
> email at ecoplan.org   URL www.ecoplan.org
> Tel: +331.4326.1323 Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
> 24 hour fax/voicemail hotline: In Europe +331 5301 2896.
> In North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)

----------------------
A. J. Plumbe,
Co-ordinator M.Sc. in Project Planning and Management,
email: a.j.plumbe at bradford.ac.uk
Fax: International: +44-1274-235280
     Domestic     : 01274-235280
Phone: International : +44-1274-235264