[sustran] Re: Transportation investments and real estate values

Roland Sapsford roland at actrix.gen.nz
Fri Jun 18 19:03:35 JST 1999

One place to examine for data is the area of contingent valuation studies on
noise etc.  What is called 'hedonic pricing' (for obscure reasons) uses changes
in values of property to indicate a 'price' for exposure to noise etc.  In the
process people collect large amounts of data on property values and various
demographic variables so they can try and isolate out the effects of noise
changes. Some of the data from before and after studies of new projects could be
used to estimate impacts of transport investment on property values.

I looked long and hard for information on the topic of roading investment and
property values last year. I found very little info that I would call reliable.
Most studies don't actually isolate out transport investment from other factors
to a satisfactory extent.  I also came across many general references to Toronto
but no specific data.

Perhaps Prof Peter Newman at Murdoch in Perth, Australia may have some good
suggestions. His email is newman at central.murdoch.edu.au but he is away for the
next week or so at least.

Hope that is of some help.

Cheers
Roland

--
Roland Sapsford

roland at actrix.gen.nz; (+64-4)934-1106;(+64-21)65-1105(m)
PO Box 11-708, Manners St, Wellington, New Zealand

"The most insidious form of ignorance is misplaced certainty"
(Robert Costanza)