[sustran] Re: fwd: Parliamentary cycling groups questions

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Wed Jun 16 11:24:38 JST 1999

This bounced because it came from an address that is not on the
sustran-discuss list and our anti-spam measures include not allowing
non-members to post.

From: "ganant" <ganant at vsnl.com>
To: "Sustrans Discussion List" <sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org>
Cc: <oh at velo-city.org>
Subject: Re: [sustran] fwd: Parliamentary cycling groups questions
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:21:42 +0530

Dear Oliver:

Though millions of Indians use bicycles as their major choice for commuting,
there is no political support to this activity.  There is thus no
Parliamentary group on cycling.

There are however, some NGOs, (like Exnora International, e-mail:
exnora at giasmd01.vsnl.net.in) which are fighting a losing battle as the
automotive sector is driving the pace of growth in the Indian economy.  Cars
are flooding congested cities and towns, crowding out the cyclists who have
no supportive policymakers.

Using a bicycle to commute to work and back is considered a class issue, and
only those who cannot afford scooters and cars have to pedal for mobility.
Moreover, even the mass transit modes like suburban trains and buses are for
the "lower class."

I was recently in Cambridge, and know first hand the importance that cycling
is receiving as an option among UK policymakers.  I am happy to read that
Parliamentarians are to ride to work to highlight the idea.

Please do let me know more about the programme, so that we can write about
it in our newspaper, one of the largest English dailies in India, The Hindu.

Best

G.Ananthakrishnan
Chief Reporter
The Hindu, 859 - 860 Anna Salai