[sustran] fwd: Parliamentary cycling groups questions

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Mon Jun 14 14:34:22 JST 1999

Dear sustran-discussers
Can anyone help Oliver on this? I am certain there is no such parliamentary
cycling group in Malaysia, alas.
Paul

From: Oliver Hatch <oh at velo-city.org>
Subject: Parliamentary cycling groups
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 01:06:40 +0100

Dear Colleagues,
As you may know, there is a large and active all party cycle group of
representatives in the UK national parliament. The group is formally called
'The All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group' (APPCG). The group now has 62
members from all political parties, and has members in both the upper and
lower House. The aim of the group is to support the cycle in the legislative
work of the Parliament, raise the profile of cycling, and also make the
conditions better for those who work in and visit the parliamentary
buildings by bicycle. I am the Secretariat of the UK group. the group has
been very supportive in all these areas. This Wednesday, as part of National
Bike Week, about 60 parliamentarians, including the Road Safety Minister
will cycle to work at the parliament building.

The UK group has formed links with the cycle group in French parliament
(Assemble National), know of existing groups in many other
parliaments/asemblies (USA, Switzerland, Italy, ?, ?) and also that a group
is planned to be launched soon in Holland and maybe elsewhere as well.

Building on these existing links, the UK group would now like to extend and
formalise the connections between these groups in different countries. The
intention of the UK group is to act as the international secretariat of
parliamentary cycling groups. Ben Bradshaw MP (Member of Parliament) as
Chair of the UK group has therefore asked me to find out what the situation
is in other countries both in Europe and round the world.

If you do not know the answers for your country, but know of a person or
group who does, please do forward this message to them. Equally, if you know
of other countries with parliamentary groups, or have an e-mail newsletter,
please broadcast this message to them so that we can find out the true
situation. I would like to know the answers to the following questions:

1) Is there an all party cycling group in your national parliament?
2) If so, could you provide me with the contact person's name, postal
address, telephone and fax numbers and e-mail contact address.
3) What relationship does the contact person have with the parliament. In
other words, are they inside the parliament or are they an outside group
providing support to the group?
4) How many members does the all party group have, and what is the total
number of members of parliament?
5) What are the group's main activities?
6) what success has the group had?

The APPCG is producing the first issue of a newsletter for the group, and I
will send a copy to all those who reply giving me information, and also
provide their postal address. I look forward to your reply.

Oliver Hatch
Secretariat to the APPCG

Oliver Hatch
31 Arodene Road