[sustran] RV: June Bulletin of the human scale transportation

Carlos Cordero V. ccordero at amauta.rcp.net.pe
Mon Jun 7 12:59:58 JST 1999

The bulletin of human scale transportation

June, 1999

The life joins

I write an article for a local magazine about the good ways of recovering our neighborhoods since a transport point of view, an old topic in the hope of a more inhabitable city. At the same time, as giving air to the words and brain, i review ' Primavera con una esquina rota', a novel by Mario Benedetti on the Latin American exile during the seventies. I only need to reach the first pages:

" I would say that it is necessary to begin to take possession of the streets. Of the corners. Of the sky. Of the cafes. Of the sun, and what is more important, of the shade. When one ends up perceiving that a street is not longer foreigner, then the street stops to look at us like strangers. And this way with everything"

And then that day I cannot continue writing the article, i let life to join, i let Benedetti's characters write it for me, with other and better words.

***

The Velo Mondial 2000 Conference is going to be an excellent opportunity to take impulse before bending the corner of this century. When we met in Barcelona the conference still looked like a distant idea. Today the first official announce has been printed and June of the next year and Amsterdam are almost at hand.

As many of you know, Ciclored is coordinating the Latin American component for this event. In the following bulletin we will send you a group of initiatives related to our participation. For the time being, we are requesting simultaneous translation to Spanish during the conference so that nobody will miss the transport news for the next century.

The deadline to present the abstracts is August 16th. So harry up!

To request the first announcement write to info at velomondial2000.nl

or go to www.velomondial2000.nl

Bike Culture

The last issue of Bike Culture arrives to our door. This magazine admirabily combines diverse texts and pictures that rescue the vast tradition of european cyclism with the last human powered tech developments. This 17 issue brings, among others, a tourist chronicle in Italy, a photo report about India, the revival of Roadsters, and a frame building book review . As you see, for every taste.

Just take a ride without brakes through http://bikeculture.com

***

Where are Belgrade, Kosovo, Eritra and Ethiopia?

Last decade they have been seen in Central America, at the end of the seventies they burn in Afghanistan and even before John and Nikita, in Vietnam.

The same old war that moves their steps.

We have seen them to walk, backpackingto their children and on foot avoiding the indifference, State reasons and the holes of fear. Those lands without names that disguising their adolescent in military forces and keep old people in refugees. The same endless line of moving destinies, escaping from the horror that falls from the sky.

***

>From some place of Australia that I don't know, we have received the working paper ' Urban Transport Models: a review '

Published by the Bureau of Transport Economics. The title is exact: a good and concise comparison of the models and theoretical aproaches used by the transport planners. Curiosities in this respect: bte at dot.gov.au

Du Brazil

Between the 3 and 6 of June in Boca Fria (Rio de Janeiro) will be discussed the feasibility of some ciclistic projects during the 1º seminar in cicloturism. As to follow the route of the sun, the 12 and 13 in Guaratingueta (Sao Paulo) it will be carried out a meeting to oil the project Ciclobrasil 2000 ( see our May issue). Also 'The friends and users of the bicycle' prepare the ' National Diagnostic of bicycle urban use. As you realize Brazil it is not simply Samba and Carnival.

Reissues

We launch this bulletin to mobilize feet, pedal initiatives and ideas. Among the last and good ones are Alfonso Sanz's books ' The bicycle in the city' and ' ' To Calm the traffic' which has been reissued by the spanish Ministerio de Fomento.

Telephone (24 hours): 91 5976187 Fax: 91 5976186 e mail: cpublic at mfom.es

More about movies

"The best cyclist scene on cinema i saw was in 'Good Morning Vietnam' when Robin Williams buys bicycles from two Vietnamese in order to follow a girl that he liked, but its friend (Forrest Whitaker) ride one without tires and pedal on the pure rims, it is brilliant!, but he just survived of being rolled by a truck. Would somebody dare to mount this way a bicycle?" We do believe, that only Enrique Galvez Durand does, who sends us this text. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/4685

The cyclist of the noon

Since i was a child i see passing by in front of my house the poet Antonio Cisneros. Some years ago he surprised us writing about the invincible ' Ciclsitias del mediodía'. The last time that I saw him, requested his permission to reproduce in this bulletin his chronicles of pedals in the wind. "For sure" was his response. Unfortunately for you, we do not dare to make a translation of it. If you know spanish we will be glad to send you the original version.

We hope this bulletin has been digestible. Greetings from Lima, Carlos

Carlos Cordero V.
CICLORED - Centro de Asesoría y Capacitación
para el Transporte y Ambiente

San Juan 242, Lima 33, Perú
tel :    (51) 1 4460175
telfax (51) 1 4472675