[sustran] Re: fwd: Re: Campaign for ban on diesel cars

ITDP mobility at igc.apc.org
Tue Jul 20 02:58:37 JST 1999

Dear Sunite and CSE,

I think SUSTRAN should try and help you on your campaign.  As Ford and G.M.,
and also Mercedes (via Daimler Chrystler) are heavily represented or based in
the U.S. we should try to do something.  We should develop a press release and
circulate it to major media in the US.

We need a bit more information, however.  Unfortunately, it appears that
specific tailpipe emissions from differet vehicle types differ widely from
country to country, so I could not find any aggregate data on different levels
of particulate emissions for deisel versus gasoline vehicles.  My understanding
was that gasoline vehicles also produce quite a bit of micro-particulate
(smaller than PM10) which is not measured in India I understand.  We therefore
would need from you some specific data on the differences between particulate
emission levels from deisel and gasoline vehicles of a similar type.

We might be able to blast the foreign car companies on the safety of their
vehicle designs also.

You might, however, consider that the foreign motor vehicle companies, which
dont produce many deisel vehicles for sale in the West, may agree with many of
the policies you promote regarding deisel, as it is no doubt costing them a
fortune to develop these new deisel vehicles.  Perhaps they could be powerful
lobbying allies for a policy to either increase the taxes on certain types of
deisel, or to require the sale of reformulated deisel.   Perhaps you should
contact these motor vehicle companies directly before we slam them in the
press.  If they are totally intransigent, then we can slam them in the press
for their intransigence.

I was unable to find your article 'Merchants of Menace' on the CSE website.
Can you give more explicit directions to it?  Is it in your magazine Down to
Earth?

Best
Walter Hook,
ITDP

SUSTRAN Resource Centre wrote:

> From: "SUNITA NARAIN" <sunita at cseindia.org>
> To: ccordero at amauta.rcp.net.pe, sustran at po.jaring.my
> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:18:51 +0530
> Subject: Re: [Campaign for ban on diesel cars
> CC: SANDHYA at cseindia.org, ANUMITA at cseindia.org, ANIL at cseindia.org
>
> Dear Friends at Sustran,
> Thank you for this message that we have just received and for your
> offer of help.
> However, what we need right now is pressure on multinational
> companies who are selling diesel cars in India and refusing to
> accept the health implications of their action. We need a targetted
> and focussed international campaign on these companies. The
> names are as follows:
> a. General Motors
> b. Ford motors;
> c. Mitsubishi
> d. Toyota
> e. Mercedes Benz.
> f. Hyundai
> We have done a detailed article on these companies in the latest
> issue of our magazine and this is available on our website. The
> article is called, Merchants of Menace.
> We have the following suggestions of the kind of action we could
> organise together:
> a. we could find the email addresses of the Indian CEO's of these
> companies and send them to the network. If you could send
> messages to these people in adequate numbers if would certainly
> help;
> b. we could also send messages to the Presidents of these
> companies where their headquarters are based. We would have to
> find these names and numbers but I am sure that is possible;
> c. we would be happy to find the email numbers of all Indian
> government officials and send these to you. But remember that
> these officials do not access emails in most cases and are less
> susceptible to public pressure from abroad. We have already
> energised eminent people in India to write to the Indian PM on this
> issue.
> Please let us know if these ideas are of interest to the network and
> if you need us to prepare a basic draft of the message to be sent.
> We would be grateful for all help at this moment.
> With best wishes,
> Sandhya, Sunita, Anumita
>
> To:                     SANDHYA at cseindia.org
> From:                   "Carlos Cordero V."
> <ccordero at amauta.rcp.net.pe> (by way of SUSTRAN Resource
> Centr
> > [Dear Sandhya,  A suggestion from Peru on the sustran-discuss
> > list. Best wishes, Paul]
> >

> > I think we can start having an indian government e mail address to write,
> > after that we can agree to send each of us and our friends a message
> > expressing our concern about the issue during one single day, how many
> > messages can we gather, lets say, for the next week?
> >
> ......old message snipped.....

> * NOTE CHANGE IN OUR EMAIL ADDRESS: PLEASE NOTE IT AS FOLLOWS  *
>          CENTRE FOR SCIENCE AND ENVIRONMENT  ( CSE )
> [...]

Access ITDP's New Website: www.ITDP.org
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy
115 W. 30th Street - Suite 1205 - New York, NY 10001 - USA
tel: (212) 629-8001  fax: (212) 629-8033