[sustran] velo mondiale 2000

ITDP mobility at igc.apc.org
Thu Jul 15 00:08:12 JST 1999

Announcement from ITDP Regarding Velo 2000 in Amsterdam

Velo Mondiale will be held in Amsterdam June 18 - 22nd.

Ton Slesdens and I will be organizing the 'environment' track of this
conference.  I think holding the conference in Amsterdam presents a
unique opportunity to learn from Dutch bicycle planning experience,
which is very advanced.

They want  papers within the next five weeks.  This is very quick.
Please at least send me abstracts of paper ideas right away for anyone
that is interested in presenting.

I would particularly like studies or reports that demonstrate directly
the environmental benefits of bicycling promotion projects, but other
topics related to bicycling and the environment are of course welcome.

Each 'track is supposed to address the following themes:

> -       A world-wide experience: comparison and co-operation;
> -       Better (i.e. more usable) bicycles;
> -       The Dutch Experience;
> -       bicycle use determinants: cycling feasibility.

The schedule is:

> 16 August 1999: deadline Call for Contributions
> Start of reviewing process.
>
> End of September 1999
> Reviewers report their opinions and judgments  to the concerning
'track
> chairs'.
>
> First hald of October:
> Track chairs make a proposal for the programme in their track (with
special
> attention for an 'interactive' and 'participating' approach).
>
> Beginning of November
> Programme committee and track chairs decide on the final conference
> programme, including the information market.
>
> November - December 1999:
> Notification to accepted and rejected contributers
> Production 'final announcement - call for registration'
> Appointments for selction and instruction of session chairs;
> Appointments for preparing 'conference declaration'
>
> January - May 2000
> Invitation and instruction session chairs;
> Drafting 'conference declaration'
> Production 'summary book'
>
> June 2000: conference Vélo Mondial 2000
>
> Finally I can announce that our website will be on line from 11 June
on:
> www.velomondial2000.nl
> It contains all information of our 'call for contributions'.

Access ITDP's New Website: www.ITDP.org
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy
115 W. 30th Street - Suite 1205 - New York, NY 10001 - USA
tel: (212) 629-8001  fax: (212) 629-8033