[sustran] fwd: BEYOND TRAFFIC CALMING 2 DAY COURSE in Nth America

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Tue Jul 6 20:16:21 JST 1999

forwarded from David Engwicht <D.Engwicht at hum.gu.edu.au> for benefit of
sustran-discussers in North America.

Dear Colleague,

Greetings from Australia!

I will be in North America later this year for the launch of my new book
STREET RECLAIMING: CREATING LIVABLE STREETS AND VIBRANT COMMUNITIES. Below
you will find information about an exciting 2 day training course I will be
running in five cities for a limited number of people. I expect these BEYOND
TRAFFIC CALMING workshops to be a highly creative process that will set a
new agenda for transport planning and urban design in North American cities.

This new material is not Traffic Calming in new garb. It is a whole new
design approach. I believe that the BEYOND TRAFFIC CALMING workshops will go
down in history as a defining moment -- a turning point in the way we view
our cities and streets.

P.S. I would appreciate it if you could pass this onto your friends and
colleagues or post it on any discussion lists you are part of. I also have a
great brochure advertising the workshops. If you would like one or more
copies (I would appreciate any help in distributing these) drop me an email.

P.P.S The Traffic Reduction Kit is coming!! I will send you more information
soon.

   BEYOND TRAFFIC CALMING:
   New solutions that build community and save money

   A Two Day Course
      San Fancisco, Denver, Boston, Toronto & Vancouver

   with DAVID ENGWICHT

   author of the NEW book
      (to be released September 1999)

   STREET RECLAIMING:
   Creating Livable Streets and Vibrant Communities

        also author of
        + Traffic Calming
        + Reclaiming Our Cities and Towns:
          Better Living with Less Traffic

A limited numbers, two-day intensive training course for planners, urban
designers, engineers, decision-makers, community development workers, and
citizens involved in community building.

LEARN HOW to apply the principles of TRAFFIC REDUCTION and STREET RECLAIMING
in your city, using neighbourhood and citizen based initiatives.

GOAL OF THE COURSE: That each participant develop new skills, and a personal
plan, for moving their city towards a traffic reduction future.

COURSE CONTENT

++  Street Reclaiming: How your city can make an quantum leap beyond traffic
calming which saves money and tackles the root causes of traffic problems

++ The 5R's of Traffic Reduction: How the same resource management
techniques used to reduce garbage can be used to reduce traffic by up to 50%

++ Changing Car Culture:  How a new theory of cultural change helped David
develop such inventions as the Traffic Reduction Kit, The Traffic Reduction
Treaty, and the Walking School Bus.

++  Building Local Economies: How traffic reduction and street reclaiming can
be used as a stimulus for growth in local jobs and commerce.

ABOUT THE COURSE FACILITATOR

David Engwicht is from Brisbane, Australia and has carved out an
international reputation as an innovative thinker and inventor in the area
of traffic reduction and urban design. His first booklet titled  Traffic
Calming is considered by many to have triggered the traffic calming
revolution in Australia and North America. His second book Reclaiming Our
Cities and Towns has become a text in many university courses and has
changed public policy in cities such as Edinburgh, Scotland.

David's latest book (to be released September 1999), Street Reclaiming:
Creating Livable Streets and Vibrant Communities breaks significant new
ground by giving residents the tools to solve their own traffic problems,
while at the same time helping reduce traffic city wide. It also contains a
host of practical design ideas.

David has developed a unique teaching style that involves audience
participation in the learning experience. David has previously presented
full day teaching events for planning professionals in Australia, New
Zealand, USA, Canada, and Europe.

SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN

+ HOW TO DEVELOP A TRAFFIC REDUCTION PLAN for your city which includes:
	++ reducing traffic in existing residential areas
	++ reducing school-based traffic
	++ reducing traffic generated by greenfield developments
	++ reducing commercial traffic

+ HOW TO CREATE INNOVATIVE TRAFFIC REDUCTION PROGRAMS that deliver
significant behavioural changes. Process includes:
        ++ creating 'whole-of-system maps' which chart the relationship
between personal, social, cultural and physical realities in the shaping of
transport choices
        ++ using the 'whole-of-system map' to identify possible 'upstream
interventions'and to evolve holistic solutions.

+ HOW TO EMPLOY NEW STREET DESIGN TECHNIQUES that move beyond traffic
calming and help build stronger community and a stronger economy. Learn how
these new techniques can be applied to both residential streets and major
roads.

+ HOW TO CREATE AN IMPLEMENTATION STRATEGY that is politically feasible.

ABOUT THIS COURSE

This certificate course will be limited to 40 places.

The course will be structured to provide a combination of instruction and
action learning through interaction. You will work with others in a small
group to develop a traffic reduction/street reclaiming plan for your city or
neighbourhood.

Through exposure to ideas from other groups, and through constant
interaction with David Engwicht, you will develop your ideas into an
implementable strategy.
The goal of the 2 day course is that you leave with a personal action plan
for helping move your city towards a traffic reduction/street reclaiming
future.

FIVE COURSE LOCATIONS:

SAN FRANCISCO -- November 4th, and 5th

DENVER -- November 11th  and 12th

BOSTON -- November 18th and 19th

TORONTO -- November 22nd and 23rd

VANCOUVER -- December 1st and 2nd

The workshop tour is sponsored by:
The City Program, SIMON FRASER UNIVERSITY

REGISTRATION

Cost : $300 American for courses in United States
       $350 Canadian for courses in Canada

Cheques payable to PLANNING SOLUTIONS NETWORK

REGISTRATION FORM

YES!! Please reserve me a place at the BEYOND TRAFFIC CALMING 2 day course
in _______________ (name of city)

        * NOTE: places will only be considered reserved
          on receipt of full payment for your place.
          Confirmation and receipt will be mailed to
          course participants

If this course is sold out, or sells out before I get my cheque to you, my
second choice is __________________ (name of city). Also please contact me
if additional courses are put on due to the current courses selling out.

Name......................................
Organization..............................
Address...................................
Phone Number..............
Fax number................
email address.............

Cheque enclosed for $________

        [ ] I will send cheque made out to
            PLANNING SOLUTIONS NETWORK by mail

FAX or mail this form to:

Planning Solutions Network
Attn: ENGWICHT: BEYOND TRAFFIC CALMING COURSE
4276 West 10th Ave.
Vancouver BC V6R 2H4 CANADA
fax 604-224-7652 (Vancouver, Canada)
email: psn at smartt.com.