[sustran] Re: sustran-discuss V1 #351

Tamim Raad raad at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Jan 25 22:45:17 JST 1999

Actually, this book you are referring to is a different book that Peter and
Jeff wrote.  The updated "Cities and Auto Dependence," which is essentially
a databook is the one Paul referred to in his email.  I have attached a
description.  The one Deike mentions, "Sustainability and Cities..." is
more policy and case study oriented.

>I think there is an outline available if you look the book up under
>www.amazon.com  where you can also order it.  The title is listed as
>"Sustainability and Cities: Overcoming Automobile Dependence."  with
>Newman and Kenworthy as the principal authors.  I'm am assuming this is
>the same publication Paul is announcing, but perhaps it's two different
>things?
>best,
>Deike Peters, ITDP
>
>Prof S L Dhingra wrote:
>>
>> May I have an outline /contents of the book please.
>>
>> On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, SUSTRAN Resource Centre wrote:
>>
>> > This new book may be of interest to sustran-discussers. It can be
>> > considered an update of Newman and Kenworthy's 1989 book "Cities and
>> > Automobile Dependence". It contains data on 9 Asian cities: Surabaya,
>> > Jakarta, Manila, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong and
>> > Tokyo. I should declare an interest here ;-).  I was involved in some of
>> > the Asian city data collection and analysis for the book.
>> >
>> > Paul.
>> >

>> > NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT
>> >
>> > An International Sourcebook of Automobile Dependence in Cities 1960-1990
>> >
>> > by  Jeff Kenworthy and Felix Laube
>> > with Peter Newman, Paul Barter, Tamim Raad, Chamlong Poboon and Benedicto
>> > Guia (Jr)
>> >
>> > The book contains extensive primary and standardised land use,
>> > transportation, energy, economic and environmental data on 46 cities
in the
>> > USA, Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia, including detailed maps on each
>> > city. It also provides a comparative overview analysis of automobile
>> > dependence in different types of cities around the world, trends between
>> > 1980 and 1990 in key land use and transportation features, as well as
some
>> > policy implications which impact on how to reduce auto-dependence.

Book Description:

"An International Sourcebook of Automobile Dependence in Cities, 1960-1990"

A large, reliable digest of urban data about land use, transportation, and
energy use, An International Sourcebook of Automobile Dependence in Cities,
1960-1990, provides government agencies, consulting firms, academics, and
community and conservation groups with the kind of detailed information
that they need to improve their planning, teaching, and researching in
these fields. The book sets out detailed data on land use, private and
public transportation, energy, environment, and economics in forty-six
metropolitan areas in the United States, Australia, Canada, western Europe,
and Asia for 1960, 1970, 1980, and 1990.

An International Sourcebook provides a multitude of tables and diagrams so
readers can quickly access key data on their own cities and easily gain a
global perspective on how different cities perform according to various
factors. For cities that are not included in the book, a comprehensive
methodology chapter is provided, describing how to develop comparative data
for other locations.

Each city represented in the book has its own set of color maps showing the
various territorial boundaries and shape of the metropolitan area, the
urbanized areas of the region, the freeway system and all the fixed track
rail and bus transit systems. These maps--together with the detailed data,
correlation analyses between city characteristics, and key trends between
1980 and 1990--make the book an essential tool for policy development,
presentations, teaching, and further research.

Outstanding in its detail and its extensive coverage of cities, An
International Sourcebook is a valuable source of information for anyone
concerned with the impact of the automobile on urban environments and the
role of planning in helping shape better cities.

The cities covered are: Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los
Angeles, New York, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco,
Washington (U.S.); Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
(Australia); Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver,
Winnipeg (Canada); Amsterdam, Brussels, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Hamburg,
London, Munich, Paris, Stockholm, Vienna, Zurich (Europe); Hong Kong,
Singapore, Tokyo (wealthy Asian cities); Bangkok, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur,
Manila, Seoul, Surabaya (developing Asian cities).

------------------
***PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE IN MY EMAIL ADDRESS***
Tamim Raad
A17-03 Palm Court
Jalan Berhala, Brickfields
50470 Kuala Lumpur