[sustran] Book announcement

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Sat Jan 23 10:13:44 JST 1999

This new book may be of interest to sustran-discussers. It can be
considered an update of Newman and Kenworthy's 1989 book "Cities and
Automobile Dependence". It contains data on 9 Asian cities: Surabaya,
Jakarta, Manila, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong and
Tokyo. I should declare an interest here ;-).  I was involved in some of
the Asian city data collection and analysis for the book.

Paul.

NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT

An International Sourcebook of Automobile Dependence in Cities 1960-1990

by  Jeff Kenworthy and Felix Laube
with Peter Newman, Paul Barter, Tamim Raad, Chamlong Poboon and Benedicto
Guia (Jr)

The book contains extensive primary and standardised land use,
transportation, energy, economic and environmental data on 46 cities in the
USA, Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia, including detailed maps on each
city. It also provides a comparative overview analysis of automobile
dependence in different types of cities around the world, trends between
1980 and 1990 in key land use and transportation features, as well as some
policy implications which impact on how to reduce auto-dependence.

The book will be out in early 1999

Advanced orders can be placed with:

University Press of Colorado
Fax +1 303 530 5306
or email to Darrin Pratt, Sales and Marketing Manager:
prattd at stripe.Colorado.EDU