[sustran] Re: Bicycle promotion efforts by KL City Hall and STAR LRT

Tony Barry tjb at pc.jaring.my
Sun Jan 17 15:08:57 JST 1999

At 17:34 14/1/99 +0800, you wrote:
>Dear Azlan
>
>As requested here are some comments for the Malay Mail newspaper on DBKL's
>and STAR's initiatives to promote cycling.   I will be cc'ing this to some
>other cycling contacts to let them know what is going on.. I hope you don't
>mind.

But how do DBKL propose to deal with safety issues for cyclists who will
eventually require to cycle in mixed traffic (since presumably it is not
feasible to provide a complete cycle track network door-to-door?

The figures for road accidents in Malaysia are quite alarming, and the
majority of deaths are two wheeled users. The twelve deaths on the first
day of the Hari Raya  included I think 7 motorcyclists, one cyclist and one
pedestrna. The largest number of accidents occurred in the Federal Territory.

As a long time cyclist in London in my younger years I could not recommend
cycling in KL.