[sustran] fwd: Environmentally Best and Worst Cars and Trucks Ranked

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Tue Feb 23 09:23:40 JST 1999

from [stncar at ix.netcom.com]

>Looking for a New Car? Check the Green Guide
>EarthVision Reports
>
>02/22/99
>
>WASHINGTON, February 22, 1999 – When shopping for a new car, it is easy to
find
>information about a host of
>categories from engine size to safety features, but finding its
environmental performance
>may be a bit frustrating. Don't
>despair though, a new consumer guide tells all about the new models.
>
>The guide, Green Guide to Cars and Trucks: Model Year 1999, from the
American Council for
>an Energy-Efficient
>Economy (ACEEE), provides complete information covering the many aspects
of automotive
>environmental performance for
>every new passenger car, minivan, sport utility, and pickup truck sold in
the United
>States. The guide uses a "Green Score"
>to rank the autos, allowing the consumer to "shop with the environment in
mind" according
>to Guide author John DeCicco,
>ACEEE's Transportation Program Director. The Green Score looks at a
vehicle's exhaust
>components, fuel economy and
>other specifications, then grades each model on its health impacts,
estimated annual fuel
>expenses, and greenhouse gas
>emissions.
>
>Included in the Green Guide to Cars and Trucks is:
>
>     Advice about how to buy green when shopping for a new car or light
truck.
>     The "Best of 1999," featuring the "greenest" models by vehicle class.
>     The 12 "greenest" and "meanest" vehicles for the environment in 1999
>     Listings for electric and alternatively fueled vehicles, in addition
to conventional
>vehicles.
>     Tips on keeping your vehicle running cleanly and efficiently
>     Information on the environmental impacts of motor vehicles, including
global warming
>and the health effects of vehicle
>     pollution.
>
>According to ACEEE, the ratings published in the Green Guide are derived
from emissions
>certifications and fuel economy
>data reported to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and
California Air
>Resources Board by automakers
>themselves.
>
>"Higher fuel economy protects the environment and is especially important
for fighting
>global warming," states DeCicco. "By
>'greener' we mean cleaner and more fuel-efficient."
>
>Although the greenest vehicles are those powered by alternative fuels or
electricity,
>ACEEE authors realize that these options
>are not available to many consumers. Therefore, new to this guide is a
"Practical Picks"
>section that lists the best choices in
>gasoline-powered models.
>
>"Choosing greener cars is more important than ever," DeCicco says. "The
Green Guide to
>Cars and Trucks provides
>practical advice for consumers concerned about protecting their health,
their children's
>health, and the health of the planet."
>
>The Green Guide to Cars and Trucks: Model Year 1999 is available from the
ACEEE website
>(below) and may be
>ordered from ACEEE for $8.95 plus $5.00 for shipping and handling. Bulk
sales discounts
>are also available.
>
>To order, contact:
>ACEEE Publications
>1001 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 801, Washington, DC 20036
>Phone: 202-429-0063, Fax: 202-429-0193
>E-mail: ace3pubs at ix.netcom.com
>Order from Web Site: http://www.aceee.org/greenercars/

>Marty Bernard
>Oakland, California
>
>To find out about a new form of personal urban transportation
>please visit the Information Pages of the National Station Car
>Association at http://www.stncar.com which are updated periodically.

SUSTRAN Resource Centre
P. O. Box 11501,
50748 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel/Fax: +60 3 274 2590,  E-mail: sustran at po.jaring.my
Web: http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/2853/
The SUSTRAN Resource Centre hosts the Secretariat of SUSTRAN
(the Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia & the Pacific).