[sustran] re: Editorial on motorcycle pollution

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Wed Dec 15 14:47:30 JST 1999

Below is another news item on the Malaysian motorcycles emissions. I think
that there is some double-speak in this statement by a Malaysian Motorcycle
industry spokeperson. Can anyone clarify?

Correct me if I am wrong but what seems that the Malaysian Department of
Environment is finally backing down in the face of opposition from the
industry to the stringent Taiwanese Stage II standard. The DOE has been
pushing these for years. But instead they have now agreed to impose the
less stringent Euro I standards. The Taiwanese standards are devised by a
country with many motorcycles (like Malaysia). The Euro I standards are
from a continent with very few motorcycles.

By the way, is Euro I still applicable in Europe... I thought they had now
moved on to more strict standards???

Can someone with more detailed knowledge of emissions standards clarify
this for me. It seems to me that if the local industry were to meet the
Taiwanese Stage II standard then logically it would also meet the Euro I
standard (since Euro I is less stringent).

Therefore the comment by the industry about exports being easier under Euro
I seems misleading. If Malaysia adopts the Taiwanese standard then wouldn't
it be able to export everywhere?? ... including to Taiwan, which it can't
if it only adopts Euro I.

Paul
SUSTRAN

----------------------------
New Straits Times
Monday 13 December

M-cycle makers welcome move to cut emission
By Esther Tan

KUALA LUMPUR, Mon. - Motorcycle assemblers have given the thumbs-up to the
proposed new standards for smoke emission which they said were
internationally accepted, thus making locally assembled machines more
competitive in the global market.

Motorcycle and Scooter Assemblers and Distributors Association of Malaysia
chairman Datuk Syed Mohamed Aidid said today he welcomed the move by the
Department of Environment to introduce stringent Euro 1 standards.

"They are international standards comparable to the Taiwanese Stage II. A
number of our members export their motorcycles and the Euro 1 standards
will be more suitable for global competitiveness. These standards are
accepted by many countries, especially European nations," he said.

Association members comprise assemblers and distributors of all motorcycles
found in the country.

Syed Mohamed, who is also the Federation of Asian Motorcycle Industries
chairman, said although the Taiwanese Stage II standard was slightly more
stringent it was not as widely accepted as Euro 1.

Syed Mohamed was commenting on today's New Straits Times front page report
about the DOE's move to introduce stringent smoke emission standards under
a proposed set of regulations to control pollution from motorcycles.

The proposal will be submitted for approval soon to Science, Technology and
Environment Minister Datuk Law Hieng Ding who will seek Cabinet approval.

The DOE had in 1996 proposed the Taiwanese Stage II standard but it was
shot down by the motorcyle assemblers and the International Trade and
Industry Ministry.

The Euro 1 standards were proposed by motorcycle assemblers on Nov 18, 1998.

The association had suggested July 1, 2000 as the enforcement date of the
stringent standards for new models and July 1, 2001 for existing models.

Syed Mohamed said assemblers needed time to make the design changes and
adjustments to meet the standards.

For new models, assemblers need a year to 18 months. For existing models
they need two to two and a-half years to make engine adjustments or to
phase them out.

To meet the new standards, two-stroke motorcycles will have to be fitted
with catalytic converters and four-stroke engines will have to undergo
minor adjustments.

Asked about the cost and whether the new standards would cause an increase
in prices of motorcycles, Syed Mohamed there was always a cost factor when
it came to making changes.