[sustran] Re: Jain Alok on DETERMINING MRT FARES

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Dec 14 04:52:46 JST 1999

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Jain Alok wrote:

> Its quite difficult to define "fairness" and "equity". As soon as any fare
> is charged for any a transport system, it is not affordable to some. And
> then there are diktat's of the free market which are against any
> cross-subsidy. I think the fair system is where similar subsidy is provided
> to all the modes.

  I disagree, the fair system removes subsidy from those who cause social
bads and uses any charges against them to compensate those who suffer
from these bads. "Subsidy" can often be viewed as a transfer from those
who get the most benefit from the system to those who don't, but help
to pay for it, either indirectly or directly.

Also, it is very debatable whether "cross-subsidy" really exists in an
integrated network -- not every route serves only the people along the
route, many also serve through trips with high capacity modes. Also
where this capacity is put is somewhat arbitrary if there is more than
one right-of-way available, more than one type of solution, etc. This
is a concept that right-wing economists push who pay no attention to
network effects. The high ridership loss in the UK after deregulation
was in large part due to eliminating or reducing service on these
so-called "cross-subsidized" routes. (At the same time, other profitable
routes have excess capacity.)  Eric

 	In developing world, there are a lot of subsidy provided