[sustran] Re: 20:20 Century Transport Icons - Cut 1 of idea for a cooperative

Matthew Burke matt.burke at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Fri Dec 10 13:54:14 JST 1999

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Ronaldo R. Manahan wrote:

> >That list as it stands includes not only icons to which I think we
> >might usefully give more thought and attention, but also a certain number of
> >candidates for what, if my courage holds out, we may end up call the
> >"Transportation Hall of Shame" (a bit strong, really). I leave it to you for
> >now to see how that might work out and what should go where.
> >

> I nominate the private motor car (in the CBD and without road pricing
> contexts) to the Hall of Shame grand prize.

May I formally nominate the Model T Ford to the list - as the icon of all
private automobiles. The first mass produced car, the root cause of a
fundamental shift in urban form, and the reason why one environmentalist
here in Australia recently suggested Henry Ford was the most evil man of
the last century [Not all of our environmentalists are that silly though].

It would be a fair bet that the Ford Motor Company also have a website
dedicated to the Model T.

Matt

Matthew Burke
Department of Geographical Sciences and Planning
University of Queensland
Brisbane Qld 4072