[sustran] Re: 20:20 Century Transport Icons - Cut 1 of idea for a cooperative

Piotr Olszewski (Assoc Prof) COLSZE at ntu.edu.sg
Thu Dec 9 17:32:42 JST 1999

Eric,

I agree with you that there is more than one way to price a road and that
good parking policy has undisputed advantages. However, at the risk of
repeating some well-known arguments, let me say why I think that road
pricing should be one of the transportation icons, especially in the SUSTRAN
context.

1. The aim of road pricing is to reduce car travel by charging motorists for
road use where and when congestion occurs. Many of the items on your list
(e.g. bottlenecking, parking supply reduction, parking charges) also serve
the same broad purpose but these are really half-measures. They address the
space dimension of congestion (i.e. can limit car trips into a particular
area) but not the time dimension. What is worse, bottlenecking and parking
supply reduction also reduce accessibility of the affected area. Parking
policy does not affect the through traffic, etc...

2. If we are to believe transport economists, congestion pricing is the only
way to impose true external cost of driving on the motorists. And any
transport system in which users do not bear the true cost of driving CANNOT
be sustainable in the long run. This is because the external resources
(energy, environment, human health) are being used up at a disproportionate
rate.

Best of luck with your cooperative knowledge building exercise on the Web!

Piotr Olszewski              colsze at ntu.edu.sg
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore