[sustran] 20:40 Transport Icons - Cut 1.1 of idea for a cooperative

Kerry Wood kerry.wood at paradise.net.nz
Wed Dec 8 13:03:50 JST 1999

Dear Friends

eric.britton at ecoplan.org wrote:

> 20:20 CENTURY TRANSPORT ICONS
> - Cut 1 of idea for a cooperative knowledge building exercise on the Web -
>
> What's a 20th century transportation icon?  Let me list a few of the longer
> range variety, though what I propose here is to concentrate on local
> transport concepts:
>
> * Bullet Train
> * Concord(e)
> * Interstate Highway system
> *

I think Eric has hit the jackpot with this one. Some more detailed comments:

   * Which 20th Century? This century has seen as much transport change as the
     19th, maybe more, and much more than any other. Would the icons be better
     based around the millennium, which might be defined as the 40 years 1980 -
     2020 ? (Pity about the DC 3, and the 1963 Buchanan Report would miss out
     too) Call it 20:40, cusp of the Millennium or something.
   * Are we talking effective solutions or modern technology/ something sexy?
     We can't afford to leave out the Paris Metro (or London or Brussels for
     that matter) because it is 1900 technology: How would Paris etc function
     without it, or with what alternative technology? Rickshaws, bicycles,
     buses, light rail and walking all have problems with image, 'old'
     technology or both. But then cars are old technology too...
   * Mexico City? Is it OK to mix icons and anti-icons?
   * Monorails? Look nice but can be dreadfully inflexible: so many systems are
     loops because the system is too inflexible to handle anything else (how do
     you change the points? have level crossings? get up all those stairs? get
     access to a crippled unit?)
   * Add the understanding that urban density matters?
   * Add the realisation that roads generate traffic?
   * Add the understanding/imminence of resource depletion, especially oil?

I don't understand Eric's points 10 (ITS) and 20 (Smart): must have been asleep
that week.

Kerry
--
Kerry Wood  MICE  MIPENZ  MCIT