[sustran] Re: DETERMINING MRT FARES

Jain Alok ajain at kcrc.com
Wed Dec 8 12:05:06 JST 1999

Its quite difficult to define "fairness" and "equity". As soon as any fare
is charged for any a transport system, it is not affordable to some. And
then there are diktat's of the free market which are against any
cross-subsidy. I think the fair system is where similar subsidy is provided
to all the modes. In developing world, there are a lot of subsidy provided
to road based transport system (which eventually benefits car-users) by way
of free-roads, subsidised fuel and by not recovering the indirect costs
incurred.

The proponents of "user-pays" principle who try to justify the high fares of
mass transit systems (but themselves travel on chauffer driven cars) never
target road based system for the same principle. Road based systems are also
disguised as means of basic mobility.

So much for "free-market economy".

Alok Jain