[sustran] fwd: OZ Ped Summit & Charter

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Thu Aug 12 13:08:57 JST 1999

Dear sustran-discussers
This is forwarded from the pednet list. Probably of special interest to
Australians and New Zealanders on the list.
Paul.

-----------------------
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:46:16 +1000
From: Keys Young Pty Ltd <office at keys-young.com.au>
Subject: pednet: OZ Ped Summit & Charter

This message sent to pednet by Keys Young Pty Ltd <office at keys-young.com.au>.

The Pedestrian Council of Australia is convening a Pedestrian Summit in
Sydney on the 23rd 24th September this year at which a Pedestrian Charter
will be debated and, hopefully, endorsed. We will be assisted in the
process by Rodney Tolley from the UK and John Moffat from Seattle.
Invitations are just about to go out to 100 delegates from around
Australia.

The list can help in two ways. Firstly, mainly for those of you in this
part of the world ( I have noticed a few over the past year), I am looking
for nominations for delegates who can make a contribution. We need a
balance of people in decision making positions, knowledgable practitioners
in a range of fields relating to pedestrian issues, and of course advocates
for pedestrians of all ages and abilities. We are trying to get
representation from all states of Australia but I would be happy to see
representation from New Zealand. We have some sponsorship to put the event
on and as a matter of policy don't want cost to be a barrier to the right
delegates attending, but where possible would like them to pay their own
way.

Secondly, for all of you, suggestions for inclusion in a Pedestrian Charter
and references to appropriate models would be gratefully received. A few
weeks back Chloe Mason posted a reference to the Draft Charter on
Transport, Environment and Health from the WHO London99 conference which is
proving most useful. It is much better written and far more comprehensive
than the '88 European Ped Charter, even if not solely relating to
pedestrians. Earlier this year we had Ross Best's more personal March 4th
Manifesto,...- where did that get to Ross? Any other suggestions? We will
be circulating a draft Charter to delgates prior to the Summit . I may be
able to post a version of it here then but will certainly do so after the
Summit.

While I am on, many thanks to all you pednetters for your contributions.
The trouble is, there is now so many of you I have difficulty keeping up,
making it difficult to contribute to ongoing threads. It is more like
reading last months minutes than being in the meeting itself. Of course
much of the material is parochial to N. America but you would be suprised
how familiar many of the issues are to us here.

I suggest that Charter material could be shared with the list, but
nominations for the Summit should be sent direct to me here at Keys Young
or at home to <inapier at ozemail.com.au>

Ian Napier, Hon Secy. Pedestrian Council of Australia