[sustran] Re: fwd: city bus subsidy policy question

Jain Alok ajain at kcrc.com
Wed Aug 4 16:58:09 JST 1999

In Hong Kong where a number of new railways have been planned (some are
under construction), the Government is envisaging a similar scenario and
undertaking a study on co-ordination of public transport services with
special emphasis on the railway corridor.

I, however, cannot think why this should lead to bus subsidy, if there is
none already. Basically, a proper planning of competing as well as feeder
routes is what you need for effective utilisation of the whole public
transport system. Competing bus services provides, choice of modes to the
people (and avoid monopoly of the railway, as some prefer to put it) while
feeder routes can supplement to a "mass" carrier, which is promoted for its
qualities towards the environment (pollution-free), reliability (dedicated
right-of-way) and speed. A co-ordinated approach also minimises the
"wasteful competition" and eventually leads to a hierarchical public
transport system.

For more details, you can contact Transport Department of Hong Kong through
HK Government's web page

http://www.info.gov.hk/

Alok Jain