[sustran] Re: fwd: MRTS Thane

ganant ganant at vsnl.com
Tue Aug 3 03:47:25 JST 1999

While the experts can respond to the question of advantages of the different
gauges, I would like to tell Prof.Dhingra that  the only city where an
elevated MRTS scheme is actively in progress - Chennai, also known as
Madras - has opted for the Broad Gauge.

Considering the urgent need for putting in place rapid transit projects in
Indian cities, it might help in integrating supplies and spares by opting
for the Broad Guage, and existing suburban rolling stock models, which are
being manufactured within the country.

New Delhi is thinking of foreign consultancy for a rapid transit project,
which could permanently hinge the system to a foreign company and production
lines abroad from an engineering perspective.  The cost projected is also
very high. Bangalore has, after an initial foray for foreign consultancy,
asked the Chennai Metropolitan Transport Project (MTP) people to draw up a
scheme for that city.

I am building a website giving an overview of the Chennai MTP project, its
progress, prospects and problems. It will be up shortly. The current
operating system, called the MRTS, is offering services over roughly 13 km,
but is largely running empty due to higher tariff compared to buses, lack of
marketing by the Railways and failure to integrate with the bus-autorickshaw
modes.

The MTP (MRTS) can be contacted in Chennai at Tel: + 91 44 5323097 and
5323098. The technical part is handled by Mr.R.Ramanathan, Chief Engineer.
Unfortunately, they do not have E-mail.

G.Ananthakrishnan, Chennai-based journalist, Tel: + 91 44 8413942 (work)
4834848 (home)