[sustran] Re: restrictions to vehicular circulation

zbzhu zbzhu at center.njtu.edu.cn
Fri Apr 30 20:24:10 JST 1999

----------
·¢¼þÈË: Roland Sapsford <roland at actrix.gen.nz>
ÊÕ¼þÈË: sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
Ö÷Ìâ: [sustran] Re: restrictions to vehicular circulation
ÈÕÆÚ: 1999Äê3ÔÂ30ÈÕ 6:50

Hi

Such a scheme was put in place for a couple of years in New Zealand in the
late 1970s - it was called 'Carless Days' and each vehicle had to nominate
no-use day.  Business vehicles could get exemptions relatively easily.

There has been little formal follow up of which I am aware.  An econometric
study indicated a 1-2% increase in the public transport share of trips
nationally - anecdotally this was more in major cities and less in rural
areas.

A major short-term effect was that most rush-hour congestion disappeared in
the capital city Wellington (newspaper report).

The scheme was not in place for long enough to see whether people bought
two
cars - I suspect this depends on the cost of vehicle purchase vs other
alternatives - see eg the Singaporean experience with price rationing of
car
ownership. I'm sure others on this list can say more about it.  Also this
scheme was a national response to a 'crisis' and so public reaction may
have
been different.

hope that's of some help

Roland Sapsford