[sustran] Call For Papers: Transportation Research Board

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Wed Apr 21 18:01:21 JST 1999

This bounced earlier because there were too many other recipients. Sorry
for the delay in reposting.

From: Christopher Zegras <czegras at MIT.EDU>
Subject: Call For Papers: Transportation Research Board

.....Spanish version cut....unfortunately none of the special characters
came through properly....

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Each January the Transportation Research Board (TRB) of the U.S. National
Research Council has its Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.  In nearly a
week of presentations, forums, and seminars a broad variety of research
results in the field of transportation are presented.

For the next Annual Meeting, which will take place from the 9th to the 13th
of January, 2000, we are organizing session(s) with a focus on Latin
America.  The sessions will be sponsored by the Committee on Non-Motorized
Transport and Related Issues in the Developing Countries (A5013).  This
Committee, the only one within TRB with a specific focus on developing
country issues, emphasizes transportation and the environment, social
equity, analytical tools, poverty reduction, gender issues, and
intellectual technology transfer (South-North, North-South, South-South).

We invite you to present paper/presentation proposals for these special
Latin American Sessions, in accordance to the submission guidelines
outlined below.  One-page paper proposals must be submitted by MAY 1st,
1999.  The rest of this message is written in English, since all the
proposals and papers for TRB must be written in English for the Conference.

We look forward to receiving your proposals and seeing you in Washington
this January.

Best wishes,

Christopher Zegras and Charles Rivasplata
Co-chairs, Latin America Panel

P.S. Please circulate this paper call as appropriate.
P.S.S. Excuse us for not having a Portuguese version of this letter.

****Themes for the Latin American Panels****
We are looking for papers which address one or more of the following themes:
1. Socioeconomic Development Impacts of Non-motorized Transportation:
- Poverty alleviation and NMT access to economic opportunities
- Access to affordable modes
- NMT and Gender issues
- Travel Time Valuation
- The social costs of motorization

2. Safety, Energy, and Environmental Effects of Non-motorized Transportation
- NMT as part of a local and global air pollution mitigation plans
- Road traffic accidents as a public health problem=20
- Motorization and its negative effects on the NMT environment

3. Transportation Planning and Evaluation Tools and Non-motorized modes
- Incorporating NMT into travel forecasting models=20
- NMT and traffic flow models
- Data collection needs and performance measures
- Integrating NMT into transport policy, program and project evaluations
- Funding schemes for NMT system development/improvements

4. The Built Environment and Non-motorized transportation=20
- Urban form factors affecting NMT use
- Building and re-building urban areas to promote safe and efficient NMT use
- NMT and transportation networks
- "Best Practices"

5. Public Transportation and NMT
- Public transportation demand studies
- Innovations in Public Transport Operations/Regulations
- NMT-public transport linkages
- User characteristics: Public transport, NMT

****Process for Submission****
Please submit one-page paper proposals NO LATER than May 1, 1999 via e-mail
or regular mail to:=20

Chris Zegras (czegras at mit.edu)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Urban Studies and Planning
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Room 7-303
Cambridge, MA 02139

Authors of accepted paper proposals will be notified of acceptance by
e-mail May 15, 1999 and invited to submit a final paper to TRB. =20

If invited papers are ultimately submitted for presentation and/or
publication consideration, they will have to conform to the guidelines of
TRB.   Final papers, which are peer reviewed, will be due to TRB by August
1, 1999.  Detailed information regarding submission of final papers will be
sent to authors with paper proposal acceptances on May 15.

For additional information on the Conference and paper submission details,
see the TRB web-site:=20

http://www.nas.edu/trb/meeting/index.html

****Additional Information****
Unfortunately, TRB does not have funding available for travel and
attendance at the Conference.  Paper presenters do receive discounts on
Conference Registrations. =20

Since we want to ensure successful panels, we must give preference to those
papers written by authors who will be able to attend the Conference.
Please keep this in mind when submitting your paper proposals. =20

****The TRB Standing Committee (A5013) on Non-Motorized Transport and
Related Issues in the Developing Countries****
Dr. V. Setty Pendakur, Chair A5013
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z2
Phone: 1-604-822-339; Fax: 1-604-822-3787
E-mail: pendakur at unix.ubc.ca

Dr. Rick Pain, Liaison to A5013
TRB
2101 Constitution Avenue NW