[sustran] Re: FW: transport and equality

Todd Litman litman at islandnet.com
Mon Apr 19 23:34:36 JST 1999

See our report "Evaluating Transportation Equity" available at:

	http://www.islandnet.com/~litman

It discusses various meanings of transportation equity and how they can be
applied in practice. It also summarizes the literature on the subject. Here
is the bibliography (my favorite is "Access for All," but it may be
difficult to find):

Bibliography

David Albright, John Hamburg, and Henry Richards, The Divided Highway:
Transportation Equity and Violence, Alliance for Transportation Research
(Albuquerque), 1996.

Steven Burrington and Bennet Heart, City Routes, City Rights: Building
Livable Neighborhoods and Environmental Justice by Fixing Transportation,
Conservation Law Foundation (Boston; www.clf.org), 1998.

Robert Bullard and Glenn Johnson (eds), Just Transportation; Dismantling
Race & Class Barriers to Mobility, New Society Publishing (Gabriola Island,
BC), 1997.

Hank Dittmar, "Isn't It Time We Talked About Equity" Progress, Vol. IV, No.
5, Surface Transportation Policy Project (Washington DC; www.transact.org),
June 1994.

David Forkenbrock and Lisa Schweitzer, Environmental Justice and
Transportation Investment Policy, Public Policy Center, University of Iowa
(Iowa City), 1997.

Phil Goodwin, "Demographic Impacts, Social Consequences, and the Transport
Debate," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Vol. 6, No. 2, Summer 1990, 76-89.

David Hodge, "Social Impacts of Urban Transportation Decisions: Equity
Impacts," in The Geography of Urban Transportation, Susan Hanson (Ed.)
Guilford Press (New York), 1986.

C. Jotin Khisty, "Operationalizing Concepts of Equity for Public Project
Investment," Transportation Research Record, 1559, 1997, pp. 94-99.

Douglass Lee, "Making the Concept of Equity Operational," Transportation
Research Record 677, 1987, pp. 46-53.

Schaeffer and Sclar, Access for All, Columbia University Press (New York),
1980.

Rosenbloom and Altshuler in "Equity Issues in Urban Transportation", Policy
Studies Journal, Autumn 1977, p. 29-39.

The Highway Cost & Pricing Study, by Cambridge Systematics for the
Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation Translinks 21 project includes
comprehensive equity analysis.

Access to Opportunity: Cooperative Planning to Improve Mobility for
Residents of Inner-City Communities, East-West Gateway Coordination Council
(St. Louis, MO), 1995.

Please share your findings with the list.

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"