[sustran] Response to Littman on more on TDM and marketing

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 30 22:42:59 JST 1998

Who can disagree with the measures Todd advocates below?  But
I think the question to which Whitelegg originally responded
is about more than "advertizing" and "persuasion". It is about
consiousness raising and lifestyle modification. Results do
not happen overnight always, but if more people start to view
their travel habits as a public issue (surely it is more significant
than passive smoke, which has a relentless campaign against it),
then all the other reforms become easier because 1) even that
mere 5% that is immediately persuaded set a good example, and 2)
others that are now more aware will think more about where they
move next time and maybe increase their demands for better
transportation policies when they vote.

I suggest we look at the issue of community persuasion through
an example.  People who are vegetarians because of the environmental
damage caused by excessive meat-eating may not appreciate that their
driving and lifestyle habits are also environmentally damaging,
while those who recognize the adverse effects of driving may
not appreciate the effect of our eating habits.  But through
time, the messages sinks in and we broaden our definitions
of what constitutes a responsible citizen.