[sustran] The Economist, current issue: Ground Zero

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Sep 7 18:03:09 JST 1998

Dear Friends,

The Economist's latest number (5th Sept.) carries an article
entitled "Commuting" which we can recommend to all here on at
least several grounds.  First and most fun because they reverently
quote our beloved founder. May he long live and prosper!

But maybe more important because they once again accomplish here
what I have always felt they do so well.  Namely. To establish
what I call Ground Zero (the altimeter setting on a plane that
allows one to approach an airport for a landing at times of poor
visibility). Let me explain my metaphor briefly cause I think the
point is an important one to us all.

In a phrase, they set the problem.  They as usual do a good job of
drumming up data support and stating the informed generalist view
quite nicely indeed (with that slight Economist edge, of course).
But that's it!  They tell us where Ground Zero is but we still
somehow have to land the damned plane, while they sit back ever so
comfortably in their upholstered chairs on good old, cozy old
Saint James Street.

Still, one does have to be grateful for whatever one does find out
there.

Enjoy your read, and perhaps we can even take things a bit apart
here.  They surely do leave some pretty big holes for us to fill
or at least wander around in.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

EcoPlan International - Technology, Economy, Society
Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara, F-75006 Paris, France
Tel.  +33 (0) 1 4326.1323 or +33 (0) 1 4441.6340
Fax  +33 (0) 1 4441.6341 or +33 (0) 1 4326.1323
ISDN/videoconferencing/groupwork: +33 (0) 1 4441.6340 (1-4)
ICQ # 7147909            Mobile: +33 (0) 607 37 77 98
Email: postmaster at ecoplan.org   URL: http://www.ecoplan.org