[sustran] Developments in Mobility Management

Ruth Bradshaw bradshr at westminster.ac.uk
Fri Sep 4 01:21:32 JST 1998

Dear Sustran-discuss

I am working on an EU funded project, MOSAIC (Mobility Strategy
Applications in the Community) which is looking at mobility management.
For the purposes of this project we have defined mobility management as
follows. Mobility management aims to reduce the number, length and need
for private vehicle trips by encouraging individuals, companies and
institutions to satisfy their transport needs by alternative modes such
as public transport, walking and cycling. It attempts to influence
travel choices by informing, advising and educating potential
travellers, including freight operators, with regard to their own
mobility. Mobility management encourages the implementation of
supporting measures but in itself does not usually provide new
infrastructure nor improve transport supply.

At the start of the project in 1996 MOSAIC in conjunction with another
EU project carried out a 'State-of-the-Art' review looking at the extent
to which mobility management measures were being adopted around the
world. I was responsible for the section on Asia and as we are now in
the process of updating this review I would be interested to learn of
any developments in mobility management in Asian countries over the last
two years. As well as information on particular measures, I would also
be interested in learning about any changes in national policies or
legislation which have implications for mobility management.

The type of measures I am talking about might include for example
initiatives taken by employers to reduce the amount of car commuting by
their employees (known in the UK as green commuter plans) or by other
sites which attract large volumes of traffic such as retail parks and
large leisure facilities. Another example would be a Mobility Centre
which provides information on all forms of alternative transport to the
car.

I would be very grateful for any relevant information which Sustran
members can provide. Please send messages direct to me and I will send a
summary to sustran-discuss in a couple of weeks in case others are
interested.

Thank you very much in advance for any information you can provide.

Best wishes

Ruth Bradshaw
Research Fellow
Transport Studies Group