[sustran] Stop engine at the intersections

J.H. Crawford joel at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 2 01:58:58 JST 1998

>This idea of stopping engines briefly to reduce air pollution is not a
>good idea.  While I don't have the figures, I'm pretty sure the
>emissions generated by stopping and starting the engine again are
>considerably greater than the emissions generated by hot idling.

I believe I read years ago that new Japanese cars (maybe for the Tokyo
market only) were being equipped with devices which would automatically
shut of the engine when the car had been stopped for a few seconds.
The device would also restart the engine the instant the driver hit
the gas. I assume it could only have been done for air pollution reasons.

Sorry, no source on this.

                                          ###

J.H. Crawford    Crawford Systems    joel at xs4all.nl    http://www.carfree.com/