[sustran] Re: transport in urban centers

J.H. Crawford joel at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 22 23:16:47 JST 1998

>I would like to share a discovery: I've found the book _A Pattern
>Language_ by Alexander a very good resource (although still somewhat
>car-oriented) for transport infrastructure / urban planning (as well
>as designing buildings, if you're in that too).

I would like to seccond Obet Verzola's message above. _A Pattern
Language_ is the one book in my library I never lend out. I can't
afford to be without my copy. It's a beautiful, inspiring book.

While it is true that it assumes the continuing use of cars for
transport, Alexander is obviously aware of the damage done to
urban environments by cars, and the book has a number of patterns
which directly address the need to contain and control cars.

In the develoment of my own design for carfree cities, I have
relied heavily on Alexander's thinking. The results can be
seen at the URL below.

Regards,

                                          ###

J.H. Crawford    Crawford Systems    joel at xs4all.nl    http://www.carfree.com/