[sustran] Re: Fundamental Restructuring of Public Transport in South Africa

tkpb at barter.pc.my tkpb at barter.pc.my
Thu Oct 22 13:41:42 JST 1998

Dear Ian Emslie

>We at the CSIR
>are investigating the role that public transport interchanges play in
>the public transport system and how to enhance this role, to provide a
>safer, more efficient and attractive environment for public transport
>users.
.... details snipped.....

I believe that Edmonton in Canada has a well-documented timed-pulse
timetable system on a hub and spoke network. But I don't have the reference
sorry.

The best source for transport information on Singapore is the Land
Transport Authority there.  They have a comprehensive web site - which
might yield a relevant email address. (if you can't find one get back to
me.. I have a specific email contact somewhere).  I have heard that they
are also keen to compare Singapore's experiences and data with other
relevant cities and they may be willing to exchange data with you.
Land Transport Authority
460 Alexandra Road #24-00
PSA Building
Singapore 119963
Fax: +65 375 7213

The UITP organisation (International Union (Association) of Public
Transport) which is based in Brussels should have some good documentation
on public transport in some of these cities.  They are actually currently
engaged in a large project to collect transport and urban data on a large
set of cities around the world. I am involved in the project.  I think that
most of the cities that you are interested in are included in the study.
But unfortunately the results will not be ready until the middle of next
year or so.

UITP's new address is:
Mr Hans Rat
Secretary General
Avenue Herrmann-Debroux 17,
B-1160 Bruxelles
Belgium
Tel: +32 2 673 6100
Fax: +32 2 660 1072
E-mail: administration at uitp.com,  events at uitp.com,   library at uitp.com
UITP also has a useful web site.  There is a link to it on SUSTRAN's web
site. See my signature below.

I hope this helps.

A. Rahman Paul BARTER,

(PLEASE NOTE NEW MAILING ADDRESS)
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
P.O. Box 11501
50748 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Phone: +603 274 2590 (or fax on request)
E-mail: <sustran at po.jaring.my> or <tkpb at barter.pc.my> (personal)

The SUSTRAN Resource Centre hosts the Secretariat of SUSTRAN (the
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia & the Pacific).