[sustran] Dying Trees - Re: Debate on costs of CO2 reduction from vehicles (fwd)

Gerry Hawkes ghawkes at sover.net
Sat Oct 17 10:17:50 JST 1998

A factor that I have not seen mentioned is the extremely adverse
effects that motor vehicle emissions are having on trees and
other plant life.  I have been studying and observing the toxic
effects of air pollution on trees for the past 30 years while
serving as a forestry consultant both locally and in various
countries around the world.  I became so alarmed by the damage
and the potential for widespread ecological disaster that I am
now devoting all my time and resources to developing new products
that encourage less polluting forms of transportation ( please
see http://www.biketrack.com/pollution.htm for details on the
some of the damage).

Yes, I think tree planting is a wonderful thing to do, but unless
we control toxic emissions from motor vehicles and other sources,
the trees will weaken and die which they are already doing in
great numbers (please see a review of "The Dying Of The Trees" at
http://www.ecobooks.com/dying.htm ).  Dying and dead trees do not
make good carbon sinks, in fact they will release massive amounts
of CO2 as they decay and burn.

The cost of NOT  controlling greenhouse gases and associated
toxic emissions is immeasurable since we are threatening the
basic life support systems of the Earth.  To quibble about the
various economic costs of reducing CO2 emissions seems about like
haggling over which fire hose is a better bargain when the only
home you have is already on fire.

Gerry Hawkes
Eco Systems, Inc. & Bike Track, Inc.
Woodstock, Vermont 05091