[sustran] Re: Transport Demand Management

Craig Townsend craig_townsend at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 21 15:21:40 JST 1998

Stephen,

In 1995 I completed my master’s thesis entitled "People, Culture and
Behaviour in the Bangkok Urban Region: Liabilities or Assets for
Transportation Planning?" which involved identifying the prospects for
TDM measures in Bangkok. I concluded with speculation that the old
conventional wisdom (increasing supply of transportation infrastructure
in an aqttempt to meet demand) and the new conventional wisdom (managing
demand) are either inappicable or ineffective measures to address
trasportation problems in Bangkok.

My key references on transportation demand management included:

Black, John A. 1992. "Policy Measures for Land Use and Transport Demand
Management and Their Implications in Managing Rapidly Growing Asian
Metropolises." Regional Development Dialogue. Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 3-25.
Autumn.

Fan, Henry S.L., A.P.G. Menon, & Piotr S. Olszewski. 1992. "Travel
Demand Management in Singapore". ITE Journal. Vol. 62, No. 12. pp.
30-34. December.

Giuliano, Genevieve. 1992. "Transportation Demand Management: Promise or
Panacea?" Journal of the American Planning Association. vol. 58, No. 3.
Summer.

Harata, Noboru. 1994. "Guidelines for Urban Transportation Demand
Management." Paper presented at A Symposium on Asian Urban
Transportation...Bangkok Perspective. Bangkok: Asian Institute of
Technology. July 27-28.

Liang Huew Wang & Anthony Gar-On Yeh (eds.). 1993. Keep a City Moving:
Urban Transport Management in Hong Kong. Tokyo: Asian Productivity
Organization.

Yordphol Tanaboriboon. 1993. "Demand Management Implementation in
Southeast Asia". ITE Journal.Vol. 63, No. 9. pp. 21-28. September.

Some of the above sources contain details on cases of transportation
demand management in Asia: most focus on Singapore and Hong Kong. I hope
that these may be of help.

Good luck,

Craig

>To all,
>
>I was wondering if anyone could provide me with information
>on Transport Demand Management techniques. What i am specifically
>looking for are case studies in both Asia and Europe. Does
>anyone know where there may be such information either on
>the web or elsewhere.
>Could anyone recommend any texts or publications that cover
>such case studies.
>
>Regards,
>Stephen

Craig Townsend
#513 Bangkok Apartment
588/3 Petchburi Road
Rachatewee, Bangkok
10400 Thailand

home tel: (66-2) 252-5123/5124-9
work tel: (66-2) 628-2829   work fax: (66-2) 280-0253