[sustran] Re: APEC Summit

Paul Barter tkpb at barter.pc.my
Thu Nov 5 08:57:39 JST 1998

Al R. Dizon wrote:

>I will be covering the APEC meetings in Kuala Lumpur from next week on until
>the 19th of November. I'm just wondering what transport angle I could
>possibly cover in addition to the official statements and comments that will
>be made by the ministers and the leaders themselves?

Speaking off the top of my head I can think of a few possibilities.

* The whole issue of privatisations can be seen as part of the
globalisation push that APEC represents. However, there have recently been
some hiccups in transport infrastructure privatisation. For example, last
year Mexico bailed out a number of loss-making toll roads at great public
expense.  The recent Renong "bailout" in Malaysia involves some privatised
toll-roads and urban rail systems. On Monday the Malaysian Minister of
Public Works announced that there would be more government assistance for
toll-road operators that are facing low revenues at the moment. I am no
expert on this particular issue but it would probably bear investigation.

* The Asia Pacific Peoples' Assembly (APPA - the NGO alternative summit)
will have a 2-day workshop on "Privatisation and Financial Deregulation"
which may touch on some of the transport infrastructure issues.  Contact
the organisers at appasec at tm.net.my or visit their web site at
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/8340

* APEC has sponsored a series of "experts" meetings on various issues that
touch on transport such as urban air pollution, etc. Some of these may
possibly bear fruit in terms of agenda items at the main summit I guess?

* Free trade bullying from the US apparently sometimes has an
anti-environmental bent. For example, over recent years the US has been
consistently pushing South Korea to relax its high tax rates on large
(>2000 cc, gas-guzzling) cars. APEC meeting may see similar arguments.

* Malaysia's large car industry is the country's pride and joy but it is
highly protected. Both APEC's and ASEAN's free trade pushes may represent a
great threat to Proton and Perodua.  I am hazy on details on this as well
but it is something to watch.

* There may be some positive potential for regional (or sub-regional)
agreements on certain standards (eg. safety, fuel, emissions, etc) which
could increase the market size for such changes.  However, this is unlikely
because in such a large and diverse region any such uniformity would
inevitably be a big step backwards for the countries which already have
strict standards (such as US and Japan). Would also be seen as favouring
the industries of rich countries (unless there was money to help the South
countries clean up their vehicles  and fuel to meet some regional
standard). Even the EU has trouble agreeing on such things.....

Anyone else?   I hope this helps - and please forgive any inaccuracies as I
am not really up to speed on APEC and globalisation issues.

A. Rahman Paul BARTER,

(PLEASE NOTE NEW MAILING ADDRESS)
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
P.O. Box 11501
50748 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Phone: +603 274 2590 (or fax on request)
E-mail: <sustran at po.jaring.my> or <tkpb at barter.pc.my> (personal)

The SUSTRAN Resource Centre hosts the Secretariat of SUSTRAN (the
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia & the Pacific).