[sustran] "Moving the Economy" Conference Information

Paul Barter tkpb at barter.pc.my
Thu May 7 12:52:22 JST 1998

Dear sustran-discussers,
This came in a few days ago but bounced because it was too long.  I have
cut some of the less relevant parts to make it pass.

Remember to reply to the organisers, not to this list if you need more info.

Sorry for the delay in dealing with this Todd!  I fell behind in dealing
with email for a while there.
Paul.

From: Todd Litman <litman at IslandNet.com>
Subject: "Moving the Economy" Conference Information

Attached is our pre-registration package for your information (Note May 15
deadline for lower-priced registration). We look forward to seeing you=
 there!

Please contact us at (426)392-1560 x 85854 or mte at city.toronto.on.ca, if
you have any questions.

REGISTER NOW FOR:
Moving the Economy: Economic Opportunities in Sustainable Transportation
An International Conference
July 9 to 12, 1998, Toronto, Canada
at the Royal York Hotel and the Design Exchange

1) MOVING THE ECONOMY IS ABOUT:

SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION:
Exploring the economic advantages of: efficient transit; sustainable
freight and delivery systems; pedestrian and cycling-friendly design; urban
green tourism; telework and teleconferencing; and many other sustainable
transportation systems, policies, and technologies.

ECONOMIC REVITALIZATION:
Gathering success stories from around the world where sustainable
transportation has: generated retail sales; stimulated new business;
created jobs; saved money; kept money circulating locally; and converted
ailing industries to thriving industries.

BUILDING ON SUCCESS:
Stimulating plenaries, workshops, and forums will explore international
success stories and their concrete applications to Toronto and other urban
centres.

FORGING CREATIVE PARTNERSHIPS:
Developing productive and lucrative relationships between new and
established partners.

DEVELOPING INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS:
Combining global expertise, stakeholder input, and conference participation
to produce a concrete Economic Action Plan for Sustainable Transportation.
=20
RESPONDING TO THE CHALLENGE: =20
To overcome the mounting threat of climate change, we will need to meet
(and surpass) new international commitments on greenhouse gas emissions.
Transportation accounts for one quarter of greenhouse gas emissions
globally, so a shift to more sustainable transportation will be part of a
response to this challenge.  The good news is that sustainable
transportation will make our planet and our communities more liveable, and
also promises to be an economic boon: creating new jobs, cutting costs, and
stimulating new business.=20

These economic benefits will be a key catalyst in promoting sustainable
transportation, particularly in situations where government and personal
budgets are strained.  That is why Moving the Economy is dedicated to
documenting examples where sustainable transportation is showing positive
economic benefits, and exploring how these successes can be expanded and
repeated.

-------------------------------------
2) WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Participants will include people involved in: economic development and job
creation;
transportation policy; small and large business; planning and design;
telecommunications and telework; freight and delivery; vehicle fleets; the
financial sector; tourism businesses and associations; public transit;
community economic development; car sharing and car pooling initiatives;
cycling, walking, and other human powered transportation; labour unions;
environmental groups; community organizations; consulting businesses; media
and publishing.

3) THE PROGRAM UNFOLDS...
Since we first put out the call, proposals have been streaming in from all
over the world, alerting us to groundbreaking studies; new businesses,
products and systems; innovative policies; and impressive facts and
figures; all linking sustainable transportation with some form of economic
benefit. Our website (www.city.toronto.on.ca) will keep you updated about
the program.

-----------------------------
4) THE CONFERENCE DELIVERS:

LIVING PROOF.  Workshops will showcase real life examples where sustainable
transportation and economic opportunity meet.  You'll be able to compare
notes with the people behind the success stories.=20

THE NUMBERS.  You'll leave Moving the Economy with documented facts and
figures linking sustainable transportation with economic benefit.

THE TOOLS FOR ACTION. =20
Organizers will follow up by creating concrete tools to promote sustainable
transportation, including an Economic Action Plan for Sustainable
Transportation, and an On-Line International Inventory of Economic Success
Stories.

5) A SAMPLING OF WHO YOU'LL SEE:

PETER NEWMAN -Director, Institute for Science and Technology Policy,
Murdoch University, Australia; PAULA VAN LARE -Director, U.S. EPA
Transportation Partners Program; JEB BRUGMAN -Secretary General,
International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives; ANN LAYTON -V.P.
CP Hotels, named 1997 Green Hotelier of the Year by the International
Hotels Association; RICHARD GILBERT -Managing Director, Centre for
Sustainable Transportation, and Consultant, OECD Environment Directorate;
ERIC MANN -Director, Labor/Community Strategy Center, Los Angeles;
CHRISTINA DEMARCO -City Planner, author of Vancouver's Industrial Lands
Policy, and member of Vancouver's Transportation Plan Team; LOU PARSONS
-Director, Corporate and Government Affairs, Orion Bus Industries; RICARDO
NEVES -Urban Analyst and Consultant, Desenvolvimento Urbano, Brazil.=20

6) A SAMPLING OF THE WORKSHOPS:

VIRTUAL MODES AND CYBER SAVINGS=20
See how high tech options can replace travel and increase productivity
through video
conferencing, telework, home banking, distance learning, and remote medical
care.

NEW MARKET TRENDS IN SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT =20
In this series of workshops, see who's making the most of innovations
ranging from
alternative fuels and vehicles for transit, smart signalling, ticketing and
information systems, and other new products and systems.

GREENER FLEETS, BLACKER BOTTOM LINE=20
Learn about cost-effective initiatives for fuel conversion, bulk
procurement, route
optimization, anti-idling, green couriers, and human powered fleets.

SELF-PROPELLED ENTREPRENEURS=20
Check out the latest human powered business opportunities, including
commuter bike and trike designs, human powered delivery and freight, and
fashions and accessories for biking and walking.

WHEN DEVELOPERS GO GREEN: AN (INTENSELY) LUCRATIVE PROPOSITION
Hear from developers that are benefiting from economic opportunities in
urban intensification and innovative land-use.

DELIVERING THE GOODS
Weigh up the relative economic benefits of sustainable freight options
including trains, planes, trucks, boats and bikes.

TRANSIT BASED DEVELOPMENTS: STIMULATING NEW ECONOMIES
Living examples where transit hubs are acting as catalysts for healthy
development, job creation, and vibrant local economies.

PEDESTRIANIZATION PAYS=20
Take in urban visions and concrete examples of walkable urban form and the
vibrant economies that result.

DOING BETTER WITH LESS=20
Hear about cost-effective transit innovations like cabs on demand, jitneys,
pedicabs,
intermodalism, community design, public-private partnerships, car sharing,
and more.

SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION AT WORK=20
See how employers and workers are benefiting from greening the commute
through cost
effective workplace programs and infrastructure.

TRAINS, PLANES AND BOATS
Highlights new economic opportunities in using and greening rail, air, and
water transport.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT =20
Exploring the economics of food distribution through examples like
community shared
agriculture, urban agriculture, marketing local produce, and human powered
delivery.

DEVELOPING THE SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY
Explores key elements and precursors for industrial growth in the
sustainable transportation sector, using other growing sectors as examples.

"INCUBATING" SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION BUSINESSES
Successful small business development and community economic development=
 (CED)
initiatives from around the world.

SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION CAN BE A FULL TIME JOB=20
Discover how sustainable transportation is meeting community needs and
creating  jobs, through programs like walking school buses, pedestrianized
recycling and composting, and meals on two wheels.

FROM RUST BELT TO GREEN BELT=20
Get inspired by examples of ailing industries which have been converted to
thriving green industry and employment, for creative application to
sustainable transportation.

ECOTOURISM'S GONE URBAN=20
Check out this series of workshops showcasing successful marketing and
mapping of urban green tourism options, green tourism services, and options
for greening transportation in the tourism industry.

MAKING IT HAPPEN: PROCESSES THAT PROSPER=20
Take notes on innovative proven methods for moving from vision to reality,
including
public-private partnerships, community-driven system design, lobbying
strategies, consultative planning processes, and more.

POLICY TOOLS AND FINANCIAL MECHANISMS=20
Take in this series of workshops on effective instruments for financing and
enhancing sustainable transportation: road pricing, transit benefits,
ownership and gas levies, clean air funds, green investment...

SHIFT HAPPENS: MARKETING SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION=20
Brings together campaigns, programs and approaches that have successfully
marketed the
sustainable transportation lifestyle and all its economic spinoffs.

WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?
Looks at the personal perks related to sustainable transportation,
including location efficient mortgages, green insurance, personal savings,
and alternative housing options.

WISE INVESTMENTS=20
Talk to large and small investors who are happy about their decision to go
with sustainable transportation.

THE ECONOMIC ARGUMENT=20
Hear from the authors (and beneficiaries) of the best made business cases
for sustainable transportation.

WHAT'S THE PAYBACK?  MONITORING ECONOMIC PROGRESS=20
Collects the best of the available targets, indicators, legislation, and
models for attaining and evaluating both economic and environmental success.

THE CHARRETTES=20
Roll up your sleeves and help us take on a part of the city.

THE CLINICS=20
At these special workshop sessions you'll be able to bring your questions
to experts with on the ground experience in small business development,
community economic development, organizing  municipal campaigns, and  more.

--------------------------------------
7) STILL PLENTY TO COME:
A sampling of workshops and speakers are listed here.  With over 40
concurrent workshops on the agenda it won't be possible to see it all. To
help guide you through the selection we'll be organizing them into
"streams", including:=20
- Technological Innovations
- The Urban Form
- Policy and Financial Instruments
- Transit, Trains and New Freight Options
- Creating Community Jobs/Meeting Community Needs
- Urban Green Tourism
- Human Power
- Marketing Sustainable Transportation

8) TAKING YOU ON THE ROAD WITH ROVING WORKSHOPS...
...AND TOURS
9) SHOWCASING THE CUTTING EDGE AT THE TRADE EXHIBIT
10) CREATING TOOLS FOR ACTION:
Moving the Economy will gather the latest and most creative thinking on
sustainable transportation and economy.  After the conference these ideas
will be used
to create an Economic Action Plan for Sustainable Transportation.
11) WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
If you have an idea or a winning example, check the box on the Registration
Form, and we'll send you an Inventory Response Form.  Your contribution
will enrich the growing collection of international economic success
stories we are compiling for our International On-Line Inventory. Through
this on-line database, we plan to share the wealth well beyond the
conference. =20

If you send in a Response Form we may also be able to include your story in
the
conference program.  We'll continue to refine and develop the workshops as
the conference approaches, and your contribution may fill that crucial gap
in the program, so don't hold back!

Sponsorship Opportunities are still available.  For information please
contact Beth Jones at (416) 392-1560 x 85830.

12) ABOUT THE ORGANIZERS:
Moving the Economy is an initiative of Transportation Options and the City
of Toronto.

TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS=20
A non-profit organization dedicated to facilitating sustainable modes of
transportation which promote ecological balance, social equity and economic
vitality.  This is our third major conference, following the Bikes Mean
Business Conference in 1993, and the Second International Auto-Free Cities
Conference in 1992.

Detour Publications, our publishing and distribution service, has a
mail-order catalogue of the latest books and resources on sustainable
transportation. We also publish TransMission, a twice-yearly magazine
covering transportation, culture and urban ecology issues.

For information on other Transportation Options initiatives, to subscribe
to TransMission or to receive a free copy of the Detour Catalogue contact
us at:

Transportation Options
761 Queen Street West, Suite 101,
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6J 1G1
Phone: 416-504-3934
Fax:  416-504-0068

THE CITY OF TORONTO

13) CONFERENCE VENUES:
14) THE DETAILS:

REGISTRATION fee includes:
- plenaries, workshops, and tours
- trade exhibit
- opening day luncheon
- refreshment breaks
- the public event
- receptions and parties

CONFIRMATION OF REGISTRATION will be sent to you if your completed form with
payment is received before June 18.  After this it can be picked up
on-site.Your Confirmation will include a sign-up form for roving workshops
and tours with limited space.  Return it promptly to reserve a space.

ON-SITE REGISTRATION will be at the Royal York, except on the morning of
July 9,
when it will be at the Design Exchange, site of the opening plenary.

PRICES include 7% GST, and are in Canadian dollars.  If you prefer to pay in
U.S. dollars, we will accept payment at a 75=BD conversion rate (i.e. $470
Cdn =3D $350
US).  Daily rates will be available when the program is finalized.

CANCELLATION requests must be in writing. If received by May 28 a full
refund will be
issued.  If received by June 18 a 50% refund will be issued.  No refunds=
 after
June 18.=20

COMMUNITY PASSES  If you are a member of a community organization or budding
new business and can't afford the fee, you may be eligible for a Community
Pass.=20
Contact us for details.=20

15) SOME OTHER INFORMATION:

16) THE REGISTRATION FORM:

Name:_________________________________________________________
Affiliation:______________________________________________________
Address:________________________________________________________
City:_____________________________Province or State:_______________
Country:_________________________ Postal Code:___________________
Phone:___________________________Fax:__________________________
e-mail:____________________________

I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER.  I have enclosed my payment of:
  Early Bird, before April 30   =20
  [ ]$470 ($350 US) regular    [ ]$235 ($175 US) non-profit/student =20

  After April 30 =20
  [ ]$580 ($435US) regular       [ ]$290 ($215 US) nonprofit /student

PAYMENT METHOD
[ ]  Please charge my Visa:=20
      Name:___________________________________                         =20
      Card #____________________ Expiry:________
      Signature:__________________________________
[ ]  I have enclosed a cheque (Canadian currency)=20
[ ]  I have enclosed a cheque (U.S currency)=20
[ ]  I am forwarding a cheque by mail
      (Make cheques payable to Transportation Options)

PLEASE SEND ME:
[ ]  an Inventory Response Form  to submit my idea=20
[ ]  information on sponsorship opportunities
[ ]  information on exhibiting at  the Trade Exhibit
[ ]  ___ copies of this registration brochure in print
[ ]  other:    _____________________________

ACCOMMODATION:
[ ] I will be staying at the Royal York Hotel
[ ] I would like information on other accommodations

17) THREE WAYS TO REGISTER:

FAX:     416-392-0071
CALL:   416-392-1560 x 85854
MAIL:   Moving the Economy, c/o, Toronto City Hall, 12th Floor, East Tower,=
=20
              Toronto, Ontario, Canada   M5H 2N2

We can be reached by e-mail at mte at city.toronto.on.ca or our web page
www.city.toronto.on.ca