[sustran] WC Final Response to Alex

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Sun Mar 8 23:48:57 JST 1998

>---------- Forwarded message ----------
>Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 08:35:09 -0500
>From: Alex Welte <alex at sgimess.physics.upenn.edu>
>To: Eric Bruun <ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu>
>Subject: Re: Private Monopoly and Vested Political Interests in SA v.3

My final response to Alex.....

My, my..  You are certainly effective in exposing nefarious underlying
motives with respect to those who disagree with you.

Like you, I have other things to do --- one of them is not using phrases
like "thinly veiled" etc, to characterized those who disagree with me. I
prefer to believe that you, like me, believe you have the best intentions,
but have simply come to a different point of view.

Best regards,
Wendell Cox

>> And now for the :"kicker" --- doubtless e-mail brimstone will rain down upon
>> me....
>
>Not nearly so exciting, actually. My intention is neither to change your
>mind or rail against your views very passionately, but I think the
>situation is becoming clearer than it was. Your 'public policy vision'
>is in fact turning out to be little more than the standard so-called
>free market myopia which praises 'stability' over innovative change that
>would take into account serious efforts to adress the problem of
>selective deprivation. Claiming that skewed distributions are inherent,
>when we know that the powerful resist change, is not deep, or true. The
>problem continues to be that the phraseology is such as to 'encourage'
>hopelesness. I cannot find an explanation for this position beyond being
>deeply indoctrinated, or manipulative. If we like poverty as a means to
>sustaining our privilege - why not just say so. If we believe deprivation and
>exploitation are problems to be adressed, why phrase the statement of
>the problem as thinly veiled advice not to try to rock the boat or else.
>
>Anyway - as I said - I think the remarks on the table so far speak for
>themselves, and I'm not optimistic about more progress than the little
>we've made thus far - at least not through a bunch of back and forth emails,
>but that was all I was ever up for. I happen to be from SA, and couldn't
>resist butting in when Eric sent me some stuff off the list. Maybe someone
>will tempt me back later, but I have other things to do right now
>which take precedence over email debating.

WENDELL COX CONSULTANCY
International Public Policy, Economics, Labour, Transport & Strategic Planning
The Public Purpose: Internet Public Policy Journal
http://www.publicpurpose.com
Voice +1 618 632 8507; Fax  +1 618 632 8538
P.O. Box 841- Belleville, Illinois 62222 USA

"To facilitate the ideal of government as the servant  of the people by
identifying and implementing strategies to achieve public purposes at a cost
that is no higher than necessary."