[sustran] Private Monopoly and Vested Political Interests in SA

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Thu Mar 5 06:39:35 JST 1998

Wendell, thanks for the information. It would not surprise me
if companies found ways to hide their subsidies.  Are these
commuter oriented only services for highly specific markets
or are they in competition with combi-taxis in many places?

About your comment about 40 percent of work trips being
taken by combi-taxi: If this is MOTORIZED work trips, there
are several European and Asian cities that have similar
splits for transit. Not necesarily for only one mode, but
for a combination of modes. It is not rare for transit-oriented
cities.

I agree that unions have often contributed their share to
problems in improving or expanding services. Believe it or
not, I am actually even fairly sympathetic to the management
of SEPTA (Philadelphia region) in the impending strike by
the Transit Workers Union.  I think a large minority give
poor service to the public and abuse the equipment they operate.
Certainly, there are some unreasonable work rules.

We have had the debate before about "market wages." This is
about ideology. Yes, we could take advantage of the large
numbers of people earning very low wages by busting unions,
but there really is no such thing as a pure "market". Without
unions, managements hold more of the negotiating power instead,
as can be seen by declining real wages for the majority of
workers in the United States as unions have disapeared. Thus,
I have to support the right of people to collectively bargain.
A senior driver earns about $16 per hour at most agencies. This
is barely even a middle class income anymore. What I want to
know is why a rich country can no longer supposedly afford to
pay decent wages for work that is important to society?

Eric