[sustran] From Eric Bruun on South Africa

by way of tkpb at barter.pc.my Paul Barter owner-sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
Wed Mar 4 13:01:17 JST 1998

This message from Eric Bruun bounced because the majordomo software thought
there was an administrative request buried in there.  Sorry.   Paul Barter.

Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 16:16:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Bruun <ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu>
To: sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
cc: alex at sgimess.physics.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: more on [sustran] South Africa's Transport Policy (or lack
thereof)

Walter:

Thanks for the informative answers, but I am still puzzled, and it is
one of the reasons that I asked the original question in the first
place. I have heard from several quarters that most public bus
>services are completely un-subsidized.  Last year I met the accountant
for Golden Arrow bus company who told me that neither his company nor
his competitors get a dime of subsidy, either capital or operating
subsidy.

Another question is why the combi-taxi people so damned important
to appease?  Are they precluding all efforts to build up regular
fixed route transit systems that don't involve operating "turfs".

I hope Walter gets some work in SA, it would be very interesting
indeed. Perhaps with a new Prime Minister coming in......

Eric

......  previous stuff deleted .......