In defense of Alex [sustran] Re: South Africa

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 4 05:56:01 JST 1998

I am sure that Wendell will not be surprised that I am coming
to the defense of Alex.

I think the highway lobby is still pretty damned strong in the
US, but that is a different subject than South Africa.  I also
disagree with Wendell's gross overgeneralizations about rail
transit in the US, but again that is for another thread.

In South Africa, the government could in fact support transit
more by putting higher taxes on fuels, by putting luxury taxes
on autos, and by other means of taxing the priviledged more.
This is what makes SA so interesting. It is far richer than most
countries in Africa, it just has a wildly uneven distribution
of wealth.  Eric