[sustran] South Africa's Transport Policy (or lack thereof)

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Tue Mar 3 04:28:24 JST 1998

Some comments on The Mail and Guardian editorial....

Re: No alternative has been presented to coax motorists, many travelling
alone in their
                               cars, away from the daily traffic jams. What
about the damage to the
                               environment? Must our cities be completely
choked by pollution like Mexico City
                               or Athens before Maharaj takes any action on
car emissions?

Where have such alternatives worked?

Perhaps SA should ensure that it follows the US lead in auto pollution
technology for cars --- this is the only way that the pollution problem
related to cars will be solved, and it is being solved.

>Since the policy, or lack of policy, has consisted mostly of leaving
>things to the market, and with a refusal to subsidize public
>transportation, I would like to hear whether readers agree with
>the editorial.  Eric Bruun

It's not such a bad thing to leave these things to the market, especially
when you consider the robust kombi-taxi industry, both in terms of its
potential to move passengers (if permitted) and the entrepreneurial path
that it provides to people trying to move up the economic ladder.

With all of the social needs in SA --- housing, education, jobs, etc., etc.,
it is not surprising, nor is it necessarily inappropriate for subsidies to
public transport to take a :"back seat."

Best regards,
Wendell Cox
WENDELL COX CONSULTANCY
International Public Policy, Economics, Labour, Transport & Strategic Planning
The Public Purpose: Internet Public Policy Journal
http://www.publicpurpose.com
Voice +1 618 632 8507; Fax  +1 618 632 8538
P.O. Box 841- Belleville, Illinois 62222 USA

"To facilitate the ideal of government as the servant  of the people by
identifying and implementing strategies to achieve public purposes at a cost
that is no higher than necessary."