[sustran] Careful on the long quotes?

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Jun 15 17:49:52 JST 1998

Although this is of course not my brief, I am sure that Paul will
not mind if I remind our group about this little point of
netiquette.  The following comes from another list and will
certainly explain itself.

When replying to messages in this list can everyone please only
quote the relevant part of the message to which they are replying,
if it is necessary to quote a message at all.  The list's rules,
"The Rules of the Game", say this about quoting:
"Only quote when its necessary - often the meaning and context of
your message are self apparent.
Don't quote the whole message - it may be quicker and easier for
you but remember several hundred people may be reading your
message, if you want to speak to them an extra few minutes to help
them will be time well invested.
Certainly don't just put the whole of the prior message at the
beginning and end of your message, this is never necessary and
just adds more traffic to the networks, more phone time for
everyone to download, more file space for anyone who wants to keep
the messages for posterity.
Quoting is more necessary on a very busy list, where there may be
several threads running and people have difficulty keeping track
of the discussion, but even then please use it selectively."
"The Rules of the Game" can be found at:
http://www.eto.org.uk/discuss/rules.htm
Thank you for your cooperation with this.
Ian Simmins
Online Information Coordinator, European Telework Online.
http://www.eto.org.uk/